Company: University of Maryland, Baltimore
Posted on: March 29, 2020
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute of Human
Virology (IHV), is currently seeking anAccountantto assist with the
procurement, inventory and finance work largely associated with its
international portfolio that fund projects in multiple countries.
The incumbent will work with a host of different people in
Baltimore and Africa. The incumbent will collaborate with upper
level administrators and directors within the Institute, the campus
and external agencies as needed to ensure the highest level of
service. Additionally, the incumbent performs reviews and analyzes
procurement and accounting transactions for multiple international
grants; insuring completeness, internal accuracy, and conformance
with inform accounting practices. This position requires at least
30% travel to field offices. This may happen independently or with
a team.Benefits Information:**UMB offers a generous benefits
package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays,
15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement
options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents
at any of the University System of Maryland schools.Essential
Functions:**_Finance Functions 70%: _
- Prepares summary level financial schedules that capture
financial data for grants and non-grant funds. Prepares schedules
that capture international HR and Procurement data as needed as
well as international field office encumbrance tracking.
- Reviews and audits international payroll and effort
- Represents the Institute through participation in campus
meetings and special projects.
- Serves as subject matter expert on policies and procedures and
then prepares training for staff both domestically and
internationally on the same.
- Assists with international audits and reviews. Attends as
- Administers and maintains assigned accounts to verify accuracy
of transactions and uniform application of policies, procedures,
and acceptable standards.
- Receives, analyzes, adjusts, and prepares various
internal/external financial ledgers, schedules, exhibits and
summaries along with any assigned databases utilized for financial
- Monthly, manages and reports the cash flow in each field
- Works with field office teams to provide financial systems
strengthening and oversight. Serves as subject matter expert. This
entails travel to field offices.
- Duties may include increased complexity, independence, and
responsibility, as well as additional supervisory requirements such
as incumbent training, performance management, and quality
assurance._Procurement and Inventory Functions 30%: _
- Work with international and domestic staff to take and monitor
- Approve field office procurements equal to or more than $5,000.
Work with field offices to develop Requests for Quotations and
vendors selection in line with rules, regulations and policies.
Approve wire requests to transfer funds to field offices and
- Create wire requests to field offices and to international
subcontractors.Education:Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance,
or Business Administration.Experience:Two (2) years of accounting
related experience using general acceptable accounting
principles.*Preferreds: *Five (5 ) years of related experience
preferred.Equivalent combination of education and experience may be
considered.Credit history review may be required.Some experience
working with multiple foreign currencies preferred.Experience
working with NGO in Africa preferred.Knowledge, Skills, and
- Excellent communication written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of best practices in the field as well as all
relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and
programs/policies for meeting compliance.
- Ability to analyze, compare and interpret facts and figures and
make sound judgment based upon this knowledge.
- Ability to clearly communicate results of work both orally and
in writing to clients and management.
- Ability to cooperate and work with others in order to
strengthen and cultivate relationships.
- Ability to carry out multiple assignments and plan accordingly
in order to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Use in various relevant computer word processing and
- Excellent attention to detail.Hiring Range:Commensurate with
education and experienceIf accommodations are needed for a
disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at
410-706-2606, Monday Friday, 8:30am 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can
be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.UMB is an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion,
national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any
other characteristic protected by law or policy.Job: *Reg or CII
Exempt StaffOrganization: *School of Medicine - Institute of Human
VirologyTitle: Accountant InternationalLocation: nullRequisition
Keywords: University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore , Accountant International, Accounting, Auditing , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!