Commercial Credit Senior Underwriter I - Leveraged Lending
Company: M&T Bank
Posted on: November 26, 2022
OVERVIEWEvaluate and determine the credit risks of larger, more
complex commercial clients through detailed financial statement
analysis, industry assessment, collateral valuation, cash flow
analysis and the ability to repay annual debt
- Facilitate the credit needs of customers by underwriting new
requests and material modifications from deal screen through
approval. Ensure a successful transition of new customers/loans to
monitoring team for ongoing continuous credit monitoring.
- Review all pertinent credit and financial information,
including but not limited to financial statements, tax returns, due
diligence reports, credit bureaus, appraisals, internal credit
information, industry research and peer data. Determine the need
for more thorough investigation or additional information, and
coordinate gathering of such information.
- Analyze financial information and related materials and
complete the credit analyses for the Bank's commercial
transactions. Written analyses to include an independent credit
quality assessment with well-supported risk rating, identification
of and description of credit risks and mitigants, industry
concerns, market trends, financial trends, and other pertinent
credit issues of respective deals.
- Partner proactively with relationship managers and portfolio
managers, and be intimately involved throughout the deal process,
from deal screen through approval.
- Spread financial statements and prepare financial models
designed to sensitize various conditions impacting the proposed
transaction. Prepare cash flow, collateral schedules, covenant
sensitivity calculations, financial models, and guarantor statement
analysis as appropriate.
- Attend client/prospect calls with RMs to gain a thorough
understanding of the client/prospect and their business to
effectively analyze and underwrite the proposed transaction. Based
on underwriting parameters, recommend the risk rating.
- Prepare summary, present facts, and offers opinions concerning
- Assist in the structure of loan requests, where appropriate, to
include suggestions on terms, conditions, controls, collateral, and
- Displays deep understanding of financial regulatory environment
as it applies to underwriting most forms of commercial credit
- Ensure credit policy compliance by verifying adherence of
underwriting to the Commercial Credit Policy, and evaluating any
risk associated with non-compliance
- Present analysis or address questions during credit request
discussions or committee presentations.
- Adhere to applicable compliance/operational risk controls in
accordance with Company or regulatory standards and policies.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the
M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely
implementation of internal and external audit points together with
any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.SCOPEThe Commercial
Credit Underwriting Department is responsible to provide an
independent credit quality assessment of the Bank's commercial
clients. These assessments range from initial analyses of new
relationships to the Bank to material modifications or
restructurings of long-term relationships. The Department also is
responsible for ensuring the accurate completion of the Bank's risk
rating scorecards and financial statement spreads. The work
completed in this capacity is used to make new credit decisions.The
position interacts with commercial banking relationship managers
throughout the bank's footprint as well as other internal personnel
on credit approvals of $30+MM typically.Works independently with
limited supervision.Customer interaction is expected.MANAGEMENT
RESPONSIBILITIESInput into training of junior/newly hired
UnderwritersEDUCATION REQUIREDBachelor's degree in Accounting,
Finance, Economics or related fieldEXPEREINCE REQUIRED5 years'
experience in commercial credit, public accounting, financial
statement preparation/analysis or other financial
analysis.Excellent verbal and written communication
skills.Excellent analytical abilityLocationBaltimore, Maryland,
United States of America
Keywords: M&T Bank, Baltimore , Commercial Credit Senior Underwriter I - Leveraged Lending, Accounting, Auditing , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!