Director Internal Audit (CPA & Spanish)
Company: Laureate Education Inc.
Posted on: September 21, 2019
The Risk & Internal Audit Director is the leader and subject matter
expert in the area of assurance, and specifically financial,
operational, and compliance audits globally. Provide commentary and
relate industry best practices and emerging trends in order to
continually improve the organization s capabilities and contribute
extensively to the continuous identification, evaluation and
remediation of financial, operational, and compliance risks. The
position will manage a team of internal and co-sourced resources
and a budget of approximately $5M.
Individual would be responsible for the oversight and execution of
advisory and assurance-related activities, which include but are
not limited to Financial Audits, Operational Audits, Compliance
Audits, and SOX Audits. Individual will also be responsible for
supporting strategic business initiatives by advocating and
enhancing the risk and control environment, and when appropriate,
engaging, managing and reviewing the work of outside
This person will be required to ensure analysis, reports,
recommendations and insights gained from advisory and
assurance-related activities are taking into consideration. Also
lead the team that is in charge of discovering meaningful patterns
that may be indicative of pervasive issues impacting the
organizations financial reporting and control posture. Also, the
incumbent has responsibility to communicate regularly with senior
management to provide updates and carryout key projects, while
maintaining effective working relationships with internal and
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for all Financial, Operational, Compliance and SOX
* Develop strong working relationships and foster effective
communications with audited units, related business areas, and
internal audit management.
* Lead the execution of the reviews of all work papers, ensure
audits are performed within the time budget allotted.
* Present, discuss and follow-up audit recommendations with Senior
* Approve new audit techniques and procedures to improve
effectiveness/efficiency of audits.
* Ensure compliance with Laureate s policies and procedures,
applicable laws and regulations, and keep current on
* Lead the evaluation of internal controls within the departments
through the development and refinement of risk assessments.
* Approve deliverables/reports done by the Audit Team that include
thematic issues, trends and other micro/macro level risks
identified through the execution of audits and other
* Lead Ongoing assessment and completion of internal audit staff
performance appraisals, promotion recommendations and professional
* Collaborate and evaluate use of data analytics and other
technology-driven solutions to enhance the delivery of risk and
* Oversee and lead the execution of risk assessments including,
fraud and compliance assessments
* Collaborate and support the execution of Laureate s Enterprise
Risk Management program
* Serve as the liaison for Policy governance and related
* Lead and ensure the periodic QA of audits are met and make
suggestions on how to improve consistency as well as our overall
approach to delivery
* Lead and manage the overall development and delivery of the
annual audit plan.
* Continuously educate stakeholders on how audit initiatives and
risk management can help them achieve their business goals and
influence them to take action based on audit findings.
* Participates in executive management meetings to ensure Internal
Audit is well-informed of key business developments that could have
an impact on audit priorities and plans.
* Take responsibility for coaching/mentoring and the continuous
development of respective teams.
* Perform other duties as assigned by either the VP, Risk &
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on
performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
* Proven ability to lead multiple audit projects and drive
* Demonstrated ability to engage and influence key
* Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
* BA/BS degree required and Master s Degree preferred (coursework
in areas of study, including but not limited to accounting,
finance, business management or management information
* 15+ years of related work experience;
* 12+ years of related audit or applicable business experience; 5
or more years in a management role and 4 years of public accounting
* Higher Education industry experiences a plus.
* Expertise in auditing, risk assessment and audit project
management. Seasoned professional in SOX compliance, fraud
management and business process improvement.
* Knowledge and experience with regulatory accounting practices
(US-GAAP and IFRS).
* Experience in the recruitment and successful placement of
financial and operational audit resources at various levels within
* Experience working in diverse multicultural environment
* Spanish is required; Portuguese a plus.
* CPA is required
* Willing to travel globally (up to 30%).
LICENSURE and/or CERTIFICATION
Professional certification CPA required. CIA, CMA, CFE, CISA or
equivalent is a plus. Based on an individual's professional
background, area of specialization, or industry focus, we recognize
that other certifications, credentials, or experience may be more
relevant than the listed certifications and therefore may be
acceptable substitutes that will be given consideration upon
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our goal is to have a diverse workforce that is representative of
our students and our communities. Laureate is an equal opportunity
employer committed to hiring based upon merit. Individuals will be
considered for positions for which they meet the minimum
qualifications and are able to perform with or without reasonable
accommodations. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race,
color, religion, age, national origin, physical or mental
disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status
protected under federal, state, or local law.
Keywords: Laureate Education Inc., Baltimore , Director Internal Audit (CPA & Spanish), Accounting, Auditing , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!