Company: Smiths Detection
Posted on: November 22, 2020
North America, USA, Maryland, Edgewood
Responsible for manufacturing engineering activities, corrective
and preventative actions related to manufacturing non-conformances
/ issues, documentation, cost reduction, interface with
engineering, quality, product management and, service, and training
of manufacturing personnel. Supports LEAN culture focusing on
standardization, quality, improved performance and increased
throughput. Duties & Responsibilities
* Investigate and solve manufacturing issues as they occur;
implement corrective and preventative actions.
* Champion LEAN culture and continuous improvement initiatives.
Supports CI events to ensure that improvements are captured,
implemented and sustained.
* Create and maintain manufacturing job element sheets, test
procedures, work instructions, and master process documents.
* Design manufacturing fixtures as required.
* Develop process and test protocols for automated equipment and
* Fixture / equipment validation.
* Establish and maintain routings, control BOM changes, and
maintain BOM configuration dates.
* Drive cost reduction projects to meet requirements of Value
* Perform validation testing on new products and changes to
* Represent manufacturing engineering in all design review and
stage gate review meetings.
* Primary liaison with engineering on new products and engineering
* Responsible for seeing that engineering changes are validated and
implemented in manufacturing.
* Responsible for authoring key documentation required for stage
gate new product process.
* Complies with and ensures department compliance with all Company,
policies and procedures.
* Other duties as required.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what
make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive
equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally
protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company
with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate,
support, and embrace diversity. The Individual
Education/Training: BS Electrical Engineering/BS Mechanical
Engineering or equivalent
* 2-5 years related experience in a discreet manufacturing
environment ideally with extensive hands-on experience
troubleshooting electro-mechanical systems to sub-assembly level
and/or electronic instruments and systems to a component level on
printed circuit board assemblies.
* Experience in technical writing or writing quality procedures or
process procedures or assembly instructions.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to gain the trust and respect of your team members.
* Advanced computer skills including Excel, Microsoft Word and
Outlook; CAD based systems; SAP or equivalent) is preferred.
* Ability to read and generate schematics and mechanical
* Familiarity with test equipment for troubleshooting and
validation (Min. - oscilloscope and multimeter).
* First-hand knowledge of ISO 9001 and Lean Manufacturing.
Ability to work effectively under pressure, and successfully manage
multiple projects, priorities, and responsibilities.
* The individual s primary workplace is located in the Edgewood
production facility there are no exposures to unusual elements.
* The individual is chartered to work closely with unionized
production associates which necessitates being mindful of the rules
of the Collective Bargaining Agreement including respecting Union
* This position requires access to ITAR, EAR, and Department of
State or Department of Commerce controlled information and routine
access to a cleared facility. Applicant must be a U.S. Person
(citizen, green card holder or other permanent resident or
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture
and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our
customers' evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of
people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around
23,000 colleagues, based in 55 countries. Our solutions have a real
impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving
healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and
supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical
to our customers operations, while our proprietary technology and
high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome
colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility,
enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a
business with an almost 170 year history of innovation, and five
global divisions, all experts in their field. About Smiths
Smiths Detection is a global leader in threat detection and
screening technologies for aviation, ports and borders, urban
security and defence. With more than 40 years of field-tested
experience, we deliver the solutions needed to protect society from
the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons,
contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics. Every minute of every
day our technology and our people make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection is part of Smiths Group, a global leader in
applying advanced technologies to markets in threat as well as
contraband detection, energy, medical devices, communications and
engineered components. Smiths Group employs around 23,000 people in
more than 50 countries. Additional Information
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment
Verification Program. Smith s Detection is an EEO/AA
Employer/Vet/Disabled. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and
will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Keywords: Smiths Detection, Baltimore , Manufacturing Engineer, Engineering , Edgewood, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!