Staff Electrical Engineer
Company: Advantage Technical
Posted on: March 21, 2023
Job Title: -Staff Electrical EngineerJob Location: -Hanover,
MDSalary: $130k Direct HireThe Staff Electrical Engineer will be
responsible for performing diverse activities associated with the
development and implementation of complex power and control systems
for unique underwater robotic and electromechanical systems,
helping solve our customers' toughest challenges - typically for US
Navy and other US Government Department of Defense customers. This
position is Hybrid/Remote and will need to be able to commute to
the Hanover, MD office as scheduled.Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for producing significant portions of electrical
and control system designs; also expected to lead, supervise, and
mentor small to medium teams of electrical engineers in pursuit of
associated project objectives.
- Given incomplete, high-level requirements for a complex system
or subsystem, generate proper designs and work to complete tasking
with latitude to make decisions under minimal supervision -
individually and in a teamwork environment.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and
initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your
work product, with attention to the "system" perspective.
- Prepare and participate in regular design reviews.
- Work closely in concert with mechanical, software, and systems
engineers, as well as other cooperative disciplines, to solve
problems and constructively architect a working system.
- Supervise/mentor junior engineers or technicians, as
- Responsible and accountable for your results, working with
considerable autonomy, but also knowing when to ask for
- Desire to stretch and expand your talents, expertise,
competency, and responsibilities. -Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree from an accredited
university in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (or related
field/curriculum having an Electrical concentration, such as
Computer Engineering or Robotics Engineering).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government
Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearances
preferred, but not prerequisite).
- Must be a US citizen.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- 15 years practical technical experience in the creative
(Electrical) engineering process, including participation in the
concept, analysis, simulation, design, drawing, assembly,
integration, troubleshooting, and testing of complex electrical,
electromechanical, and automated/robotic systems is preferred.
- Experience selecting and integrating varying pieces of
high-tech Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) equipment to interoperate
well together, including designing necessary interfaces.
- Good working knowledge and experience selecting and sizing
current and latest available electrical and electronic components
and wiring devices, such as signal conditioning, power supplies,
control devices, switching devices, SSRs, safety devices, terminal
blocks, connectors, DIN rail, wiring, cabling, marshalling,
- Experience selecting and interfacing components of industrial
quality embedded microprocessor, single-board computer (SBC) based
control systems, including defining necessary signals, sensors, and
actuators, and selecting appropriate I/O; may also require some
custom electrical designs where COTS components are either
inadequate or unavailable.
- Experience designing, interfacing, translating, and integrating
various data communications signaling, such as Ethernet, USB,
RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc., including their
associated media and protocols in high-noise potential
- Experience with DC power systems design.
- Calculate and estimate system power and energy
- Experience designing, wiring, cabling, grounding for minimizing
electrical noise and EMI, as appropriate.
- Good electrical drawing/drafting skills - accurately create and
read detailed schematics, wiring diagrams, cable drawings, system
cabling and block diagrams, etc.
- Proficiency in proper use and application of various standard
electronic test equipment, e.g., VOM/multimeters, oscilloscopes,
power analyzers, communications analyzers, "hipot" insulation
testers, spectrum analyzers, CTDR, OTDR, optical power meters,
- Proficiency with advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD),
Simulation, and Analysis software packages such as Altium Designer,
SPICE, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MathCAD, MATLAB, etc.
- Proficiency with common office productivity software such as
Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.
- Good written and oral communications skills, including ability
to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts
and products to team members and customers.ADDITIONAL DESIRED
- Experience in the marine (surface or, preferably, underwater)
industry and associated technologies, including ROVs, AUVs, and
related robotic and electromechanical systems, also sonar
- Working knowledge of applicable industry professional,
technical, and military standards (IEEE, ANSI, IEC, ISO, NEMA, NEC,
- Good practical technician skills (assembly, wiring, soldering,
- Experience with fiber-optics.
- Experience with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design.
- Experience with brushless motor drives, robotics, and
- Experience designing, analyzing, and tuning closed-loop
feedback control systems.
- Experience with low-medium voltage, single- and 3-phase power
systems (120, 240, 480, 3000+ VAC).
- Experience applying machine safety systems and standards.
- Experience with programming languages and/or script writing
- Ability and flexibility to travel on occasion, typically
pre-planned for up to one to two weeks at a time; may be within the
US, outside the US, or offshore, onboard a boat.
Keywords: Advantage Technical, Baltimore , Staff Electrical Engineer, Engineering , Hanover, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...