Company: Arena Technical Resources, LLC
Posted on: February 9, 2024
Location: Baltimore, MD, US
Job ID: 15581
We are seeking a Facilities Engineer who is responsible for
assisting the Associate Director for Engineering and
Utilities(ADEU) for engineering design efforts related to building
systems and campus infrastructure, and assisting in developing
guidelines and standards that produce efficient energy use and
reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The Facilities Engineer strives to
ensure these tasks are executed in a collaborative fashion between
Design and Construction, Plant Operations, Planning and
Architecture and with the Office of Sustainability in an effort to
achieve the University?s overarching design, operational, energy,
and environmental goals.
The Facilities Engineer reports to the Associate Director of
Engineering and Utilities (ADEU) and supports the ADEU in
representing the Office of Facilities and Real Estate in planning
efforts for major and minor design and renovation projects.
The Facilities Engineer will support the ADEU with planning efforts
and engineering and design solutions (materials, systems,
coordination, project delivery, commissioning, etc.) for university
Plant Operations and Design & Construction units, division
representatives, other stakeholders, and with outside consultants
to ensure design and construction work conforms to university
standards, sound engineering practice, and the university?s
sustainability and environmental goals. Responsibilities include
advisory participation throughout the planning and design process;
review and analysis of design and construction documents prepared
for the university by outside consultants; participation in
construction oversight; and assistance to the development of
policies, procedures, standards and process improvements. The
Facilities Engineer will work directly with the JHFRE/Design &
Construction department's project managers who are typically
responsible for overall project management.
The Facilities Engineer will provide technical assistance to the
Office of Sustainability in evaluating energy strategies to help
with achieving the University?s climate change initiatives.
From time to time, where the utilization of internal resources is
merited, the Facilities Engineer will assist the ADEU with design
and construction documents, and construction administration
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs analyses of existing building systems to makes
recommendations regarding design, functionality, and performance.
This may include engaging outside consultants for testing, planning
or design studies, and engineering support. Systems to be evaluated
include heating, ventilating, air conditioning, plumbing, controls,
power, lighting, and low-voltage.
- Participates and makes technical recommendations in design and
construction progress meetings to help ensure adherence to
university standards and contract conditions.
- Reviews, and evaluates Capital Project designs in support of the
university?s standards, guidelines, and policies. Provides
- Participates in educational programs aimed at furthering Johns
Hopkins Facilities & Real Estate (JHFRE)'s and JHU staff's
awareness of building systems issues.
- Supports the ADEU in developing and documenting design standards
for renovation and new construction that support the Capital and
Campus Plan goals and objectives, are durable and financially
appropriate, and reflect sound engineering practice. Training of
staff, monitoring the use and success of the policies, procedures,
guidelines and standards, and revising them from time to time will
also be the responsibility of this individual.
- Provides oversight and review of consultant?s documents for
design and construction projects in the area of campus and building
systems engineering and design, detailing, conformance with JHU
standards, and appropriateness of systems and product
- Interfaces with JHFRE/ Design and Construction, and Planning and
Architecture in recommending the most appropriate design solutions,
addressing durability, financial sustainability, and engineering
- Reviews construction work progress on construction sites for
quality assurance and conformance with contract documents. Assist
in resolving discrepancies and disputes that arise during the
- Works with the ADEU to formulate and implement policy and process
improvements for design and construction project development
process and management.
Assists the ADEU and participates in the training of staff in
operation of the building systems and proper protocols for ensuring
occupant comfort and energy savings.
- Participates in the systems commissioning process to monitor
appropriate and thorough startup and testing of systems performance
to ensure the university is receiving systems that comply with
- Assists the ADEU with ongoing systems operation,
re-commissioning, continuous commissioning and troubleshooting
- Provides technical engineering assistance to the Office of
Sustainability for the continuing development and implementation of
the University?s climate change initiative, which guides the
university's overall environmental efforts by prioritizing
projects, strategies, and programs to reduce energy consumption and
greenhouse gas emissions.
- Scope of Responsibility
- Identify, develop, and implement strategic engineering planning
initiatives in the context of the Capital Plan, evolving regulatory
requirements, and market conditions.
- Guide and review campus and building engineering efforts in
support of the university?s Capital Plan.
- Guide and manage development of Capital Project engineering
standards and deliverables requirements, and project management
policies and processes.
- Guide and review Capital Project design and construction
- Provide technical assistance for the Office of
- Carries out duties and responsibilities with limited
- Makes decisions and establishes work priorities on complex,
- Does not direct the activities of staff.
- Influences the mechanical and electrical designs implemented in
- Exchanges routine and non-routine information with leadership,
staff, colleagues at peer institutions and vendors using effective
oral and written communication skills, tact, and persuasion as
- Builds camaraderie and alliances with a wide range of JHU
constituents, and has a collaborative, inclusive, mentoring style
of working well with others.
- The candidate must have the ability to communicate graphically
through sketching, drafting and marking up drawings.
- Bachelor?s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical
- Professional Engineer license in the State of Maryland or a state
with reciprocity is preferred, not required.
- Successful candidates will have at least seven years? experience
or a Master?s Degree in an associated field with five years?
experience in building MEP systems engineering and design work.
- Experience with construction and renovation of a broad variety of
building types and construction methods.
- Experience with working with MEP sustainable concepts.
- The ability to use MS Office and AutoCAD and a thorough
understanding of architectural and engineering drawings.
- Use of BIM software and other graphics programs is desired.
*Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are
completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered
eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional
information confirming their academic completion date.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to foster a collaborative, inclusive, collegial, and
consensus-building relationship with colleagues based on
competence, trust, and respect.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, including the
ability to present complex material in a useful and understandable
fashion to diverse audiences.
- Strategic thinker with proven analytical and organizational
- Committed to the mission of the University, customer service, and
best practices in planning, design, and construction.
- Knowledge of heating, ventilating, air conditioning, controls,
and plumbing systems and/or power, electrical, lighting, and
- Knowledge of commissioning process and operation of mechanical
- Knowledge of sustainable concepts and greenhouse gas
- Knowledge and experience with developing accurate project cost
budgets and cost impact reports.
- Ability to build comprehensive reports for data within
spreadsheet and database systems.
- Ability to produce accurate, timely delivery of complex
- Flexibility to work with last minute changes.
- Must be able to remain stationary for extended periods of
- Ability to climb ladders, move around construction sites, and
navigate tight spaces typically found in mechanical, electrical,
and utility rooms.
- Ability to operate a computer and other equipment on a frequent
- Ability to frequently communicate with coworkers.
- Ability to move about.
**This description is a general statement of required major duties
and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis.
It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
Arena Technical Resources, LLC, (ATR) is an Equal Opportunity
Employer (EOE) who will provide equal employment opportunity to
employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
ethnicity, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age,
veteran status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, marital status, family structure, genetic information,
or mental or physical disability.
An Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Arena Technical Resources, LLC, Baltimore , Facilities Engineer, Engineering , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!