Epic Data Engineer
Company: The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Posted on: October 13, 2019
Epic Data Engineer (Data Warehouse) Requisition #: 181949
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: March 5, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people
annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part
of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their
families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees.
Career opportunities are available in academic and community
hospital settings, home care services, physician practices,
international affiliate locations and in the health insurance
industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also
have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite
you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare
Reports to the Epic Data Warehouse manager and is responsible for
the design, deployment, standards, and performance of the
enterprise-wide Electronic Medical Record data architecture. This
position plays an important role supporting the implementation of
the enterprise strategy to leverage the EMR data assets by
collaborating closely with leadership. It is important for this
role to understand the information and integration needs, source
systems, quality standards, report and analytic requirements, and
the EMR data itself to support centralized and decentralized
development of institutional and business intelligence content.
Serves as a specialist/consultant on complex projects.
Responsible for business analysis and systems architecture related
to business intelligence and data warehousing projects, including
data integration, reporting, and analytics to support the health
system objectives. Develops and validates the creation and
maintenance of enterprise data definitions and metadata. Aligns
enterprise data architecture and design with business needs and
strategies. Conducts user interviews, facilitates modeling
sessions, writes business and technical requirements, creates
standards and best practices, designs solutions and implements
development. Participates in project planning to ensure effective
use of technology and/or business process to meet customers' needs.
Establishes and monitors project and task schedules and ensures
adherence to work deadlines. Provides leadership, motivation, and
direction to staff, builds teamwork, and fosters staff cohesion.
Contributes to staff evaluations.
The primary responsibility of the Data Engineer is to design and
deploy data models to support Tableau and other data visualization
projects. This may involve extending the data warehouse with
external data to meet business needs. To achieve this the Data
DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, and DEPLOYMENT
- Design and deliver guidelines that allow a broad base of
internal and external developers to build content sourced in the
data warehouse while adhering to established standards and
- Perform discovery to understand process flows and impact on how
data is generated, normal data values and potential reasons for
- Understand requirements for data, information, reporting, and
analytic needs to ensure alignment with Epic data warehouse
architecture and data models.
- Support the translation of business and technical objectives
into solution architecture requirements, and data architecture
designs to deliver Tableau applications.
- Collaborate with the vendor Epic to design and implement
scalable and extensible data architectures.
- Provide experienced leadership for strategic planning in
designing and developing comprehensive, innovative and integrated
solutions. Oversee and mentor junior staff by reviewing tasks and
milestones for quality standards and provide guidance in
system/application design and development.
- Develop database objects such as data marts cubes, queries,
stored procedures, views and tables required to support appropriate
levels of reporting and security.
- Develop, manage and maintain standards for the enterprise data
model. Partner in the development, management, establishment, and
enforcement of technical standards.
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project
scope and milestones for highly complex projects in order to
deliver product in a timely fashion according to lifecycle
- Integrate multiple cross-functional processes and disciplines
to meet business and technical requirements by bringing perspective
from all architecture domains (process, system, application
information, data, and security).
- Identify areas for data quality improvement by participating in
root cause analysis. Make recommendations to prevent and remediate
data quality issues through the appropriate choice of architectures
- Incorporate standards for gathering requirements for aggregate
navigation, response time, repeatable queries, row level security
etc. into data warehouse design.
- Assist with troubleshooting and tuning of business intelligence
reports. IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Monitor changes and resolve highly complex problems requiring
the highest level of technical expertise by responding as problems
arise. Accomplish this by reviewing all processing and output of
the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the
solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer
requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new
- Oversee changes by adhering to the change management policies
and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties
the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Recommend and advocate for data policies, governance structures
and control frameworks for the ongoing management of data to ensure
convergence, synchronization, accuracy, completeness and
- Make recommendations for optimization and performance
improvements to database design, as well as improvements to ETL
processes and tuning of software and hardware for existing and
projected needs. Work with source system owners to establish and
measure data quality metrics, investigate and resolve source data
issues, and continuously evaluate and refine transformation
- Define roles and responsibilities for centralized and
decentralized data management functions.
- The ability to embrace change, adapt to the unexpected, and
focus energies, people, and solutions on practical and positive
results Strong written and oral communication skills to effectively
lead change, and communicate with business and IT staff.
- Develop guiding principles, standards, and best practices
consumed by Epic Reporting and Analytic teams.
- Collaborate with, and frequently lead, other technical experts,
architects and subject matter experts to contribute technology
elements with a focus on BI technologies for the enterprise.
- Address highly complex problems by meeting with clients to
observe and understand current processes and the issues related to
those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share
with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Track a broad range of emerging technologies to:
- Determine their maturity and applicability to the
- Assess the relative impact to IT strategy and interprets
meaning to senior IT leadership team
- Lead and manage strategic activities, including adoption of
enterprise products and continuous integration strategies Required
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field of study.
Master's Degree, preferred. May substitute work experience where
appropriate. Technical certifications in Epic Clarity and Caboodle,
Six years of work experience with computer systems and
applications. Requires demonstrated experience in developing ER and
dimensional models, data architecture and data warehousing.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA's):
- Requires a thorough knowledge of data modeling, data warehouse,
data management, and database development in health system
- Strong technical knowledge of data integration tools, data
modeling tools, metadata tools, and database design. Additional
knowledge of ETL processes, BI analytics and development
strategies, SQL programming, relational databases and
ER/dimensional modeling techniques required. Understands the range
of options and best practices for common ETL design techniques such
as change data capture, key generation and optimization, and
- Experience with all phases of the Software Development Life
Cycle (SDLC). Strong proficiency in SQL programming, query writing,
query performance tuning, and database technologies. Ability to
distill and articulate technical and organizational approach to
clinical data needs. Demonstrated experience in strategic guidance
and project creation for data warehousing and business process
- Proficient analytical ability to solve complex technical
problems and lead project work of a diversified staff in a matrix
- Ability to convey technical methods, approaches, and plans to
an audience of varying degrees of technical understanding including
clinical and business stakeholders and technical team.
- Ability to manage long-term vendor relationships, including
resolution of production issues and upgrades, to guide future
product development to meet the needs of the organization.
- Team player with experience leading and collaborating
cross-team to ensure successful delivery of solutions.
- Translates business and technology requirements into functional
and technical specifications to design, develop, and implement
relational and dimensional data models.
- Ability to lead technical and business colleagues via influence
and without authority.
- Deploy and manage data marts with EMR data that aligns with
enterprise strategy and related business architecture.
- Ability to develop operations planning and clinical reports
using enterprise level reporting packages (Tableau, Business
- Preferred Experience with the following databases, workbenches,
and codebases: SQL Server, SQL Server Management Studio, SSIS,
Java, C++, PHP, Python, IIS, SharePoint and R.
- Must be detail oriented, articulate and persuasive to conceive
and portray big data picture for the enterprise.
- Strategic business acumen and understanding of organization
strategy, with an ability to design information systems to fulfill
- Train technical and/or other staff in their work processes and
competencies. Provides guidance and direction to technical staff.
Leads project development.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively and
prioritize conflicting demands.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, demonstrating
outside-the-box problem solving skills. Tools/Skills
- Design Modelling - Designing and developing relational and
- Data Architecture, Scripting, Querying - SQL Server Management
Studio, SSIS, SSRS, Views, Stored Procedures
- BI Visualization - Tableau/Epic RADAR
- Report Design & Development - SAP Business Objects/Crystal
- Report Publication - Epic Hyperspace/Epic Crystal Integration
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal
Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity
and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical
disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other
status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Patients are the focus of everything we do at The Johns Hopkins
Hospital. From our beginnings in 1889 to the opening of our most
advanced patient facilities in 2012, our mission to advance patient
care, education, and research, continues to change the course of
Keywords: The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore , Epic Data Engineer, Engineering , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!