Sonar Development Engineer
Company: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
Posted on: November 11, 2019
Are you searching for meaningful algorithm development work?Are you
passionate about signal processing?Do you love working with
forward-thinking engineers who want to advance exciting new sonar
technologies?If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our
team at APL.We are seeking a creative acoustics engineer to help us
develop groundbreaking new sonar and signal processing
technologies. As a member of our team, you'll contribute to
exciting acoustics and electromagnetic projects used for US
homeland security. We love the fact that our exciting engineering
work helps keep our country safe. Our team strives to develop,
apply, and maintain deep expertise in acoustics and
electromagnetics. We are passionate about conducting groundbreaking
signal processing research and advancing state-of-the-art
technologies that can change the way we live our lives. Our diverse
team of hardworking physicists, mathematicians, and engineers
believe in fostering a collaborative environment of continuous
learning.As a Sonar Development Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be developing and analyzing
processing algorithms. Your contributions will involve designing
and implementing algorithms for acoustic signal processing and
- You will analyze and assess the performance of algorithms and
sonar systems by comparing real world and experimental signal
processing results with model predictions.
- You will develop new performance models and design prototypes
and new applications. You'll collaborate with our government
partners and your teammates to create groundbreaking new concepts
for sonar systems.
- You will partner with other specialists on sea test planning,
evaluating new sensor systems, and conducting performance
- You will craft reports and presentations to communicate results
to team members and government partners.You meet our minimum
qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a BS in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied
Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Ocean Engineering or a related
- Have 3 years of experience working with signal processing,
acoustics, and developing sonar systems.
- Are skilled in developing software in MATLAB.
- Are a phenomenal communicator, both written and oral.
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings
and participate in field tests, which may include aboard civilian
or Navy ships.
- Will be comfortable working in closed area facilities.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If
selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance
investigation and must meet the requirements for access to
classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S.
citizenship.You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements
- You have a MS degree or equivalent experience in sonar systems
with MATLAB and C/C software development skills.
- Have previously worked with acoustic communication algorithm
applications.Why work at APL?The Johns Hopkins University Applied
Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our
nation's most critical defense, security, space and science
challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work
and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture
of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and
healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the
Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career
opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.APL is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national
origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable law.#LI-BM1
Keywords: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), Baltimore , Sonar Development Engineer, Engineering , Laurel, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!