Director, Federal Systems Engineering
Company: DDN Storage
Posted on: November 23, 2020
DataDirect Networks (DDN.com) is a world leader in massively
scalable storage. We are the leading provider of data storage and
processing solutions and professional services that enable
content-rich and high-growth IT environments to achieve the highest
levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN
enables enterprises to extract value and deliver results from their
information. Our customers include the world's leading online
content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and
grid computing, life sciences, media production organizations and
security & intelligence organizations.
We are currently seeking a player/coach to lead a Pre-sale Systems
We are seeking a Director level role to lead a team of US based
Systems Engineers (SE) to perform highly technical pre-sales
activities in our Federal and Department of Energy businesses
(DoE). This position provides technical expertise to Sales Account
Executives (AEs) and technical coaching, mentoring, day to day
management and priority setting to the SEs in the organization.
The ideal candidate will have great presentation skills and
knowledge of the storage industry. This position will design
solutions and proposals to meet customer-defined specifications,
help customers define solutions, provide proof-of-concept (POC) and
Benchmark support. The successful candidate will also provide
regular written reports to management on status, progress and
issues and be willing to travel domestically and occasionally
internationally. This role will be responsbile for driving the
hiring, mentoring and coaching of the SEs on the team and interface
with the international SE teams to help develop synergies across
the entire organization. The candidate will also interface with the
Deployment and Professional Services organization to ensure a
smooth transition between solution design and the subsequent
The Candidate will have at least 15 years of relevant technical
System Engineering experience in pre-sale or a closely related
field and be recognized by peers in the industry as having an
impeccable track record and credentials.
Responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
* Lead a team of 15-20 highly technical pre-sale system
* Support HPC, AI/ML cloud, content & media sales in Federal and
* Assist closing new business opportunities by gaining a thorough
technical and business understanding of clients' needs and helping
sales qualify, identify, and close new opportunities.
* Understand the sales process and how to utilize company resources
to close business.
* Participate in customer-focused seminars, tradeshows, events, and
* Provide RFP responses, technical drawings, presentations, and
* Acquire and maintain a thorough technical and procedural
understanding of DDN Sales cycles, products/services and a thorough
technical understanding of like industries.
* Develop innovative solutions to customers' business needs which
are highly cost effective and meet the margin required by the
* Assist DDN AEs in qualifying customer deals.
* Manage customer relationship post-sale, including strategy to
close repeat business.
* Help develop products, process and procedures to facilitate
* Create blueprint solutions for implementation within the DDN
sales offerings and driving consistency within the SE team and
across peer teams.
* Create pre-sales processes and procedures to optimize the
effectiveness and efficiency of the organization.
Qualifications for this role are:
* Great people and presentation skills.
* Knowledge of the storage industry and its key solutions.
* BS or work equivalent in Computer Information Systems.
* Deep knowledge of networking concepts; NAS protocol levels (CIFS,
NFS, SMB, etc...) and ability to integrate and trouble shoot at all
layers of OSI model. Specifically, deep knowledge of the Network
and Data link, as well as Session and Application layers of the OSI
* Ability to Multitask and develop innovative solutions for client
* The ability to listen, understand and articulate the customer's
needs and how to create appropriate solutions.
* The ability to build strong relationships both with the team and
across the organization.
DDN CORE CHARACTERISTICS
DDN has a very strong orientation towards these 4 characteristics
and any successful employee will demonstrate these
Self-Starter - Takes independent action to identify and solve
problems. Seeks out relevant information needed to make decisions.
Gets involved with new initiatives.
Success/Achievement Orientation - Delivers quality results
consistently. Targets, achieves (or exceeds) measurable results.
Sets challenging goals, focuses on critical priorities, and is
Problem Solving - Recognizes problems and responds with a
systematic assessment that identifies and addresses cause of issue.
Practical, realistic, and resourceful.
Innovative - Builds and improves key business processes that
enhance the effectiveness of DDN. Generates new ideas, challenges
the status quo, and solves problems creatively.
DataDirect Networks, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender,
sex stereotyping, sexual orientation, national origin, disability,
protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by
applicable federal, state, or local law.
Keywords: DDN Storage, Baltimore , Director, Federal Systems Engineering, Executive , Columbia, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!