Assistant Nurse Manager (RN) - Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injury Unit
Company: University of Maryland Medical System
Posted on: January 13, 2021
What You Will Do:
Assistant Nurse Manager (RN) - Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injury
Full Time, Day Shift (off-shifts needed)
Actively seeking candidates for a Assistant Nurse Manager (RN) -
Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injury Unit position to join our nursing
leadership team with University of Maryland Rehabilitation and
UNIQUE IS WHAT WE ARE!
Lives are restored here on our campus every day! As the designated
acute care rehabilitation and orthopaedic hospital of the
University of Maryland Medical System, we are one of the largest,
most comprehensive, and best-respected facilities in the nation.
Patients and professionals alike appreciate the unique advantages
offered here at UM Rehab & Ortho Institute.
With roots that go as far back as 1895, the UM Rehab & Ortho
Institute continues to be a pioneer in orthopaedics and
neurological disorders. From bones to brains, our cutting-edge
hospital heals even the most serious of injuries, specializing in
everything from total joint replacement to spinal cord injuries and
neurological condition. In total, our 141-bed facility welcomes
over 3,000 patients every year. As the state's largest provider of
inpatient rehabilitation services, we offer some of the most
advanced therapies for stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain
injury, orthopaedic and sports injury, among many others.
Stroke Rehab Unit
- The Stroke Rehab Unit, also referred to as "CVA", is a 28-bed
unit with the capability of expanding to 40 beds to accommodate
increases in census. Rooms are semi-private with large windows,
some overlooking the Healing Garden.
- Our patients include Adult and Geriatric patients with the
diagnosis of Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke. TBI Unit
- The Traumatic Brain Injury Unit, also referred to as "TBI", is
a 25-bed unit with the capability of expanding to 35 beds to
accommodate increases in census. Rooms include private and
semi-private rooms with large windows overlooking our beautiful
- Our patients include Adult and Pediatric patients with a
primary diagnosis of Traumatic and Non-Traumatic Brain
Under general administrative direction of the Nurse Manager, the
Assistant Nurse Manager is accountable for the delivery of patient
care services which supports the strategic plan of the organization
and achieves clinical and service quality objectives, in a clinical
unit or care delivery site. This role is accountable for the
quality of clinical services delivered, for the competency and
performance of nursing staff, and for designing and maintaining
systems to support interdisciplinary team function and provision of
patient care services while working in coordination with the Nurse
Manager. The Assistant Nurse Manager also serves a key participant
in organizational project teams and work groups at the
organizational and unit level. Must demonstrate the knowledge and
skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age, culture,
ethnicity, and specific individual diagnostic needs of the patients
served in the department.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
- Helps to manage and evaluate the care delivery and clinical
services on one or more patient care units which helps to meet
clinical and service quality objectives in collaboration with the
- Assesses requirements for care delivery systems to meet
changing patient population requirements. Plans strategies and
services to meet clinical program objectives. Communicates long and
short term plans and objectives to staff under the direction of the
- Ensures excellence of clinical practice and patient care
services, including meeting or exceeding customer requirements,
improving clinical outcomes and achieving productivity and expense
- Assures that programs, services and staff performance meet
regulatory requirements and professional standards.
- In collaboration with the Nurse Manager, supports unit based
professional practice which is designed around the requirements of
customers (patient, physicians and payors) and that involves staff
in decision making and unit operations.
- Develops effective administrative, coordination and
communication systems. Ensures effectiveness of unit operations in
collaboration with the Nurse Manager.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members to assess,
redesign and continually improve effectiveness and productivity of
- Assumes a leadership role in managing the quality of services
provided at the unit level.
- Implements systems to assess and respond to customer
perceptions of services. Is visibly involved in obtaining customer
feedback, incorporating customer requirements into service design
and requiring staff performance which meets customer
- Teaches and coaches staff in effective process analysis and
improvement techniques and in using data to assess and improve unit
- Provides leadership visibility and presence during
non-traditional shifts, working alongside the Nurse Manager to
maintain employee/supervisor relationships.
- On-point to provide coverage for the Manager when they are
off-site for any protracted period.
- Manages human fiscal resources to meet financial goals and
achieve identified outcomes.
- Effectively participates in the development, communication,
monitoring and management of personnel on the unit.
- Effectively incorporates patient care requirements into the
development of unit-based orientation processes and on-boarding
- Coordinates with Nurse Manager to ensure maximal effectiveness
and efficiency of staffing plan for unit, including skill mix and
- Develops and maintains leadership relationships with staff in
order to support healthy workplace environment and culture, and
promote staff retention.
- Develops and implements clinical strategies which supports the
- Under the direction and supervision of the Nurse Manager,
develops and implement effective human resource management
- Collaborates with training and development and provides support
for orientation, competency validation, professional development
and staff recognition.
- In collaboration with the Nurse Manager, provides clear
expectations to staff in all roles, supports staff participation in
peer feedback and effectively address individual and group
- In collaboration with Nurse Manager and Senior Clinical Nurses,
evaluates staff performance in accordance with standards of care,
organizational goals, and quality of care.
- Creates an atmosphere which fosters team work and open
communication among staff. Models effective behaviors as a
facilitator, coach and group leader.
As a Registered Nurse at UM Rehab & Ortho, you'll experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and
dental coverage including prescription drug coverage - Tax-Free
Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement and more!
- Work Life Balance: You'll accrue vacation + holiday + sick
leave and personal leave days; we offer dependent care
reimbursement, short/long term disability and an employee assistant
- Educational Assistance: We support your continuing education
and career advancement by offering tuition reimbursement &
continuing education options.
- FREE Parking
We're making Maryland stronger!
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of
Maryland, or eligible for licensure due to Compact state agreements
outlined through Maryland Board of nursing, is required.
- CPR certification required.
- Certification in area of specialty preferred.
- BSN (Bachelor's Science of Nursing) required.
- Masters' degree with management coursework preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory experience in acute care
or inpatient acute rehabilitation facility is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran
status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Associated topics: care unit, coronary, infusion, intensive,
intensive care unit, nurse clinical, psychiatric, staff nurse,
Keywords: University of Maryland Medical System, Baltimore , Assistant Nurse Manager (RN) - Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injury Unit, Executive , Parkville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!