Senior Study Director- Human Factors Research
Posted on: June 24, 2022
Senior Study Director- Human Factors Research22245BR Job
Description Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing
research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as
businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's
research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is
located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near
Washington, DC. Job Summary:
Westat's Center for Transportation & Safety Research is seeking a
qualified Senior Researcher to join a multidisciplinary team of
experienced researchers who are building on the current state of
transportation safety knowledge and supporting our clients' mission
of maintaining safer roads and saving lives. Clients include:
federal, state, and local governments, as well as nonprofit,
foundations, and vehicle manufacturers. -Our team works
collaboratively with our clients to implement innovative research
designs that explore a variety transportation and safety challenges
including occupant protection, child safety, driver behavior and
autonomous vehicles, driver distraction, situational awareness,
vehicle technology and safety implications, pedestrian safety, and
travel behavior. Our research studies employ a wide range of novel
and inventive approaches including in-laboratory testing, Level 2
autonomous and instrumented vehicles, multi-modal surveys, focus
groups, driving simulators, observational surveys, test track, and
This is a full time position with flexibility for telework
arrangement and a great benefits package.
Our Senior Researchers lead other team members through all stages
of research study design, data collection and management, analysis,
and report writing.
- Serving as principal investigator and co-principal investigator
capacities on multiple studies.
- Leading proposal development and working collaboratively with
other team members to develop winning proposals.
- Conceptualizing, d esigning and conducting research studies
using driving simulator, laboratory settings, test track,
observational surveys, and on-road settings.
- Developing and executing focus groups, interviews, surveys, and
- Designing data collection plans and guiding the creation of
data collection instruments and protocols.
- Conducting reviews of research literature and synthesizing
- Developing analysis plans, including video coding, quality
control review, and conducting analysis.
- Communicating effectively with clients and developing new
relationships with potential clients.
- Managing project budgets and schedules.
- Writing technical reports and articles for peer-reviewed
journals and professional conferences.
- Mentoring and supervising junior and mid-level staff. Basic
- A Master's degree in human factors, experimental psychology,
biomechanical engineering or social science related field with 8
years' of experience or Ph.D in human factors, experimental
psychology, biomechanical engineering or social science related
field and 3-5 years' of experience.
- Experience with human factors research in transportation,
safety, or related fields.
- Experience with data analysis techniques.
- Experience with writing reports for a wide range of audiences
- Understanding of research methodology designs and analytical
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills,
client-focused, detail-oriented, effective time management and
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of applications.
- Experience with developing IRB materials and stepping a study
through the OMB approval process.
- Possession of a driver's license and a driving record in good
- Availability for occasional work on weekends and evenings.
- Availability for occasional travel.
- Exercise good judgment and possess strong supervisory, problem
solving, communication, organization, and documentation
- Experience writing research proposals or grants.
- Creative in problem-solving, taking initiative, effectively
manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and work well in a fast-paced
team environment. Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience directing and managing multiple research studies in
a laboratory environment as well as using driving simulator, and
- Experience with statistical analysis, including R, SAS, or
similar statistical analysis software.
- Demonstrates experience with quantitative and qualitative
research methods. Understands descriptive and inferential
- Experience with writing technical reports and articles for
peer-reviewed journals and professional conferences. Examples of
Using electronic devices while driving: Legislation and enforcement
implications Transportation Research Board.
Automated driving systems' communication of intent with shared road
Impact of information on consumer understanding of a partially
automated driving system
Salesperson knowledge of teen-specific vehicle safety features,
Traffic Injury Prevention .
Reducing child restraint misuse: National survey of awareness and
use of inspection stations: Traffic Injury Prevention: Vol 21, No 7
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture
of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our
greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures,
perspectives and experiences of our employees. Westat offers a
well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness
and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account Protecting the health and safety of our
employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As
a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff,
regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully
vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety
protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin,
age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual
orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender
identity or expression, or any other protected status under
applicable law. ResearchSenior Study Director- Human Factors
Research - Westat
Keywords: Westat, Baltimore , Senior Study Director- Human Factors Research, Executive , Rockville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!