Director of Facility Development - Marine Terminals
Company: Ports America Group
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Summary:-- At Ports America, the Director of Facility
Development for Marine Terminals, working under the Head of
Terminal and Infrastructure Development, will oversee and direct
the planning, design, permitting, contracting, and construction
related to Ports America terminal facility capital improvements and
development at a national level, and will support the operating
Business Units, as well as the Finance and Sustainability groups,
with comprehensive engineering expertise as needed and directed.
- Prepare conceptual and/or working plans for terminal
improvements, modifications, and developments.
- Prepare operating capacity models for storage, traffic, and
- In coordination with the Terminals' Operation groups, lead the
preparation of Preliminary Design & Performance Criteria along to
ensure compliance with the enterprise and BU goals in terminal
- Prepare Requests for Proposals for engineering services
covering all aspects of marine terminal improvement, at all levels
- Prepare Requests for Bids for construction services covering
any aspect of marine terminal improvement.
- Negotiate contracts for design and construction services using
Ports America's standardized tools.
- Prepare, update, and maintain Standard Practice Manuals and
Guidelines related to the engaging, execution, monitoring and
governance of all planning, engineering, and construction-related
activities for Ports America.
- Oversee all aspects of design by consultants, and support
communication between consultants and internal management.
- Oversee all aspects of construction, including directing
Owner's Representative/CM, ensure integration between construction
and operational activities, assure quality in the constructed
product, and ensure that all regulatory and permitting requirements
are being met.
- Engage with Port Authority Engineering staff, acting as an
informed communication bridge for facility management.
- Engage with Port Authority Environmental personnel, to assure
that all permits are properly prepared, enacted, and enforced.
- Engage with Business Units operation and management staff, to
communicate potential engineering solutions to operational
problems, and to garner support for necessary engineering
- Engage with Business Development staff to conduct due diligence
and operational analysis on potential new investments, domestically
- Engage with the larger maritime engineering community, bringing
new development, equipment, and operational improvements to the
attention of appropriate internal management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel Domestic - up to 50% --Minimum Qualifications:--
- 4 year ABET or equivalent college degree in Civil or Industrial
- Professional Engineering registration from one of the United
- 8+ years of demonstrated expertise in directing engineering
planning and design in the maritime facility sector, focused on
upland operational improvements.
- Must have a working knowledge of Discrete Event
- Must be familiar with operational and facility engineering
parameters for all common types of container handling
- Working knowledge of the design parameters for heavy wharves,
dredged channels, heavy marine operating pavements, terminal
operating buildings, and dock gantry cranes.
- Working knowledge of factors influencing marine terminal
operating capacity and productivity and be able to model these
factors against real-world data.
- Working knowledge of essential environmental permitting
practices and procedures in the major port areas of the United
States and be able to communicate the effects of those practices
for operational and executive management.
- Deep understanding of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project.
- Proficient in CAD (AutoCAD, Civil3D and/or Trimble Sketchup)
and understanding of BIM. -- Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent management, written communication, and professional
presentation skills to provide site managers and corporate
executives with balanced, informed engineering judgment as to
capital cost, durability, risk, and operational performance.
- Must be self-sustaining, able to produce quality technical
information, in clear and concise format, without reliance on a
"production" engineering staff.
- Desirable to have experience with heavy duty and industrial
- Ability to program in Python (or other scripting language) --
- Prepare reliable conceptual cost estimates for construction of
marine terminal infrastructure.
- Prepare reliable conceptual cost estimates for the operating
and maintenance costs for marine container terminals.
- Engage closely with financial professionals to develop
comprehensive business models for new or heavily modified terminal
- Judge the accuracy and acceptability of consultant, vendor, and
contractor invoices, against services performed, work executed, and
deliverables provided. -- Supervisory Responsibility:
- Oversee the work of the Owner's Representative or equivalent
during the execution of on-site construction projects.
- Oversee and judge the work of consulting engineers providing
civil, mechanical, electrical, and structural engineering
- Oversee and control the work of contractors engaged for all
manner of potential site improvements, including, civil,
structural, waterfront, power/electrical, utility, architectural,
and instrumental projects. Physical Working Attributes:
- Move freely and safely around an operating marine terminal
without assistance, and to climb equipment access ladders and
- Tolerance for heights is recommended, including work on open
gratings and work near high openings up to 200 feet above ground
level. NOTE:-- This job description is not intended to be
all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as needed
to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Ports America is an
Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race; color; religion; national origin; sex
(including pregnancy); sexual orientation; gender identity and/or
expression; age; disability; genetic information, citizenship
status; military service obligations or any other category
protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This role
does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. External
applicants must be eligible to work in the US.-- If you require
(), we invite you to contact us via email at . Our dedicated team
at Ports America will be pleased to address any specific inquiries
or concerns you may have regarding the handling, protection, and
security of your data. We are committed to ensuring the utmost
privacy and confidentiality of your personal information and will
gladly provide you with the necessary details to help you better
understand our practices and protocols.
Keywords: Ports America Group, Baltimore , Director of Facility Development - Marine Terminals, Executive , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!