Registered Nurse RN - Psychiatry - Psych - Behavioral Health
Company: MedStar Health
Posted on: December 5, 2019
General Summary of Position
As a MedStar clinical nurse you will independently assess, plan,
implement, and evaluate the nursing care of patients from admission
through discharge. In collaboration with the patient and family,
you provide theory-based professional nursing care and coordinates
care delivery with the physician and other members of the health
- EDUCATION: Valid RN license in the State of Maryland.
- EXPERIENCE: 1 year RN experience (1 year care of psychiatric
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: CPR certification.
- SKILLS: Demonstrated ability to precept. Demonstrated high
level of clinical competence. Effective interpersonal skills,
including verbal and written communication. Basic math skills.
Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Based on assessment of physical, emotional, bio-physical, and
spiritual needs, provides direct patient care and evaluates
outcomes. Incorporates the principles of patient-centered
- Communicates patient's clinical information clearly and
accurately in verbal and written format. Clearly and accurately
documents pertinent information in the patient's medical record.
Consistently demonstrates effective documentation practices and
develops strategies to ensure complete documentation of patient
- Completes timely initial and ongoing patient assessments,
considering the physiological, psychosocial, spiritual, cultural,
and developmental needs of patients and families. Serves as
resource in planning care for complex patients.
- Contributes to optimal patient outcomes as coordinator of a
unit-based healthcare team. Supervises the provision of nursing
care to assigned patients. Consistently demonstrates effective
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality. Facilitates
collaboration among other health team members fostering effective
communication with other disciplines.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals
and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures,
quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental
and accreditation regulations. Seeks opportunities to participate
in developing/revising standards of practice to meet changing
patient population requirements.
- Evaluates the patient's response to treatment and progress
toward identified goals and revises plan of care as appropriate.
Monitors medical condition, intervenes using critical thinking, and
reports patient changes to appropriate personnel.
- Identifies health teaching needs of patients and families.
Develops, implements, and evaluates a health teaching program to
meet the identified needs. Effectively uses and adapts a variety of
teaching resources in meeting the learning needs of
- In collaboration with the patient, family, and other members of
the healthcare team, systematically develops, revises, and
coordinates the patient's plan of care. Formulates nursing
diagnosis as necessary. Assists others in developing, revising, and
coordinating patient's plan of care.
- In coordinating the delivery of patient care, delegates
activities to unlicensed staff in accordance with system policies,
principles of Patient-Centered Care, and the Maryland Nurse
Practice Act. Supervises the performance of the delegated nursing
task by the unlicensed staff. Assists staff in delegation/time
management skills. Identifies ways to facilitate working
relationships among all levels of staff.
- Initiates and monitors discharge planning activities in
collaboration with other members of the healthcare team. Takes the
lead in facilitating timely discharge.
- Maintains a safe and therapeutic environment of caring for
patients and families. Provides basic patient comfort measures
during procedures. When necessary, provides environmental support
to expedite timely patient admission or transfer. Identifies and
acts upon opportunities to improve the environment of
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the
department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary quality and service
- Provides for the emotional support of patients and families
during the crisis of illness. Demonstrates patient/family
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care
for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while
advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation
and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians
work in a variety of settings across our health system, including
10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the
largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MedStar Health, Baltimore , Registered Nurse RN - Psychiatry - Psych - Behavioral Health, Healthcare , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!