RN - Immediate Opening
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Per Diem Position WORKING up to 20 HOURS PER WEEK-as Needed
APHERESIS NURSE MAIN LOCATION : BALTIMORE /DC Area Flexible
Availability Required-Schedule Available One Week Prior This is a
GREAT Position for an Apheresis (or similar skilled ) Nurse who
wants to keep up their skills ! PRIMARY PURPOSE: This position is
responsible for performing advanced clinical procedures under the
direction of a licensed physician that may include therapeutic
apheresis procedures, and/or stem cell, granulocyte and lymphocyte
collections. This position utilizes clinical training to ensure
that the apheresis treatment is appropriate, conducted
appropriately and all relevant clinical developments are addressed
and/or escalated to medical personnel. This position works
autonomously in varied clinical settings and is expected to
exercise sound clinical judgement in the provision of clinical
apheresis procedures. This position will also be responsible for
the clinical supervision of medical assistants who perform
apheresis procedures in a clinical setting. This position will
perform as the primary point of contact for ordering physicians in
the planning of apheresis procedures while acting as a clinical
consultant in order to assist the ordering physician in the
establishment of a patient treatment plan. DUTIES AND
- Performs all assigned duties in compliance with internal SOPs
and external regulations. Brings compliance issues to the attention
- Assess patient status relative to therapeutic apheresis, prior
and during procedures, utilizing nursing process. Patient
assessment to include laboratory testing results and other
clinically significant procedures.
- Train clinical apheresis staff and assess their competence in
the performance of apheresis procedures, and related procedures
such as the use and care of central venous access devices.
- Coordinate closely with physicians and nurses at a variety of
hospitals to arrange therapeutic apheresis treatments and
facilitate coordinated care. Evaluate patient medication for
compatibility and safety of apheresis procedure and determine when
to contact the physician.
- Function, as needed as the subject matter expert and explain,
as needed, clinical apheresis procedures to patients and their
family and other attending healthcare professionals.
- Assures quality customer service to all customers.
- Is responsible for the receipt and processing of therapeutic
orders from Physicians, arrangements for necessities of a
procedure, such as ordering labs, fluids and materials, and
assistance with the development, implementation, and evaluation of
new and existing methodologies. Performs therapeutic apheresis
procedures on patients under supervision of a licensed
- Is responsible for the receipt and processing of collection
orders from Physicians, National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP),
hospital transfusion services, and the administration of drugs, and
donor evaluation for the collection and mobilization regimens.
- Performs stem cell collections on donors or patients according
- Performs granulocyte collections on donors according to
- Performs lymphocyte collections on donors according to
- Performs any new apheresis procedure approved for clinical use,
- Participates in department research projects, trials and data
- Anticipates and responds to unique clinical situations
according to SOPs. And determines appropriate clinical care.
- Recognizing adverse reactions and managing the procedure in
- Adjusting inlet flow to compensate for citrate reactions, or
recognizing a severe adverse reaction and initiating protocol such
as pausing or terminating procedure immediately and calling code
per hospital process.
- Maintains accurate, complete and legible records following the
principles of current Good Clinical Practices and related Clinical
Practices policies and procedures of the institutions where the
procedures are performed.
- Participates in quality assurance activities, as
- Ensures that medical assistant staff performs clinical
procedures in accordance with SOP's and sound clinical
- Perform apheresis procedures as needed in non-scheduled
situations after hours, weekends, and holidays. Operational
flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable
- Performs all other duties, at the discretion of management, as
assigned. REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge/Education
- Associate's degree required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Knowledge of rationale and techniques relating to assigned
duties required. Licenses/ Certifications
- RN license in state of practice required.
- Current CPR certification preferred.
- Valid driver's license required. Experience
- Previous dialysis or apheresis experience preferred.
- 2 years of previous hospital experience (medical/surgical or
critical care nursing) or related experience required.
- Phlebotomy experience required. Skills/Abilities
- Must possess the skills and abilities to successfully perform
all assigned duties and responsibilities autonomously, requiring
sound clinical judgement and application of advanced clinical
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to understand, follow, and give precise written
and verbal instructions, and perform all activities safely.
- Ability to work in a team environment and participate as an
active team member.
- Able to organize, prioritize, and execute a variable workload
and multiple priorities.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Blood Systems Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
EEO/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Our organization is an
equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need
accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a
medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to or call
1-844-220-2612 to let us know the nature of your request. A
representative will respond to accommodation requests within two
business days. Please note that this email/phone number is for
medical/disability accommodations only and any other inquiries will
not receive a response. Please see the below information about
applicant rights and our commitment to compliance: All candidates
who receive a conditional written offer of employment will be
required to undergo a pre-employment drug test in accordance with
the Company's established guidelines.
Keywords: Vitalant, Baltimore , RN - Immediate Opening, Healthcare , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!