Nurse Supervisor (RN) - Rehab
Company: UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute
Location: Gwynn Oak
Posted on: May 6, 2021
Job ID: 88297
Area of Interest: Nursing
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 8am- 8pm, 8pm-8am
Job Facility: UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Nurse Supervisor (RN) - Rehab
Full Time, Rotating Shift (0.9 ftes)
Actively seeking candidates for a Nurse Supervisor (RN) - Rehab
position to join our nursing leadership team with University of
Maryland, Rehabilitation and Orthopedic Institute.
UNIQUE IS WHAT WE ARE!
Lives are restored here on our campus every day! As the designated
acute care rehabilitation and orthopaedic hospital of the
University of Maryland Medical System, we are one of the largest,
most comprehensive, and best-respected facilities in the nation.
Patients and professionals alike appreciate the unique advantages
offered here at UM Rehab & Ortho Institute.
With roots that go as far back as 1895, the UM Rehab & Ortho
Institute continues to be a pioneer in orthopaedics and
neurological disorders. From bones to brains, our cutting-edge
hospital heals even the most serious of injuries, specializing in
everything from total joint replacement to spinal cord injuries and
neurological condition. In total, our 141-bed facility welcomes
over 3,000 patients every year. As the state's largest provider of
inpatient rehabilitation services, we offer some of the most
advanced therapies for stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain
injury, orthopaedic and sports injury, among many others.
Serves as senior administrative leader, role model, change agent,
and operational coordinator of hospital activities. Supervises the
coordination and delivery of care consistent with the mission and
values of University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic
Institute within scope of practice, professional and regulatory
standards. Consistently expresses and demonstrates respect,
compassion and courtesy for patients, family/visitors, and team
members. Oversees and demonstrates the knowledge and skills
necessary to provide care appropriate to the age, culture,
ethnicity, spirituality and individual diagnostic needs of the
persons served. Designs and implements safe labor allocations and
staffing adjustments in accordance with census, unit activity and
budgetary considerations. Accountable to administration, staff and
patients/families for totality of care delivery.
- Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide
care appropriate to the age, culture, ethnicity, and specific
individual diagnostic needs of the patients served in his/her
department. He/she must be able to assess and interpret data about
the patient's status in order to identify each patient's specific
needs and provide the care needed by the patient group (pediatric,
adolescents and/or geriatric patient group, culture and diagnostic
- Consistently expresses and demonstrates compassion and courtesy
for patients. Extends courtesy and support to patient's
families/visitors. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
- Emergency Event Management - All code events: clinical, life
safety, or weather. Actual and Drill Independently identifies the
need to declare a code event on behalf of patient/staff safety.
Leads or intervenes promptly and decisively to minimize risk and
direct staff activities according to Emergency Operating Plans.
Calls debriefing event to order, collects relevant data, processes
reports, and provides feedback to management on areas of deficiency
in a timely fashion.
- Judgment/Decision Quality - Identifies root causes of problems.
Gathers and analyzes information to develop solution alternatives.
Exhibits a trend of accurate judgment and sound decision making.
Properly justifies reasoning behind decisions. Seeks management
support when appropriate. Communicates decision outcomes to
- Diversity - Demonstrates sensitivity and promotes a
multicultural environment of respect, inclusion and collaboration
for all team members. Minimizes inter-group conflict by offering
support and engaging in fair employee practices. Balances cultural
needs or requests while upholding organizational values, enforcing
performance expectations and meeting staffing targets for patient
care. Applies the components of cultural competence, (i.e.,
honoring differences, expressing sensitivity) to the
- Prioritizing and Delegating - Focuses on the right issue at the
right time. Acts on important or urgent tasks before tackling less
important ones. Leverages available resources and properly assigns
tasks that can be and should be delegated. Provides a clear
direction to designee. Reviews situation to identify opportunities
to change or realign tasks in accordance with current
- Assuring the effectiveness and efficiency of patient flow by
performing pre-admission screening, reservation and bed control
- Participates in the initiation and implementation of
information systems to streamline staffing operations. In regards
to the selection, training and maintenance of an automated nurse
scheduling system and agency contract negotiations.
- Responsible for the identification of the educational needs and
development of the Per Diem, Perm Floater employee and evaluating
- Monitor daily productivity and shuffle sheets and assure
patient care coverage for staff is adequate based on the
- Coordinates unit specific staffing coverage for the hospital.
Operational and financial management of staffing issues for the
hospital. Communicates staffing needs as well as serves as a
resource to assist in making sound changes/adjustments to staffing
for operational, financial and human resource activities as defined
by the unit Director.
- Medical Emergency Preparedness: Debriefing of all code events,
organ procurement, RRT.
- Infection Control: Standard Precautions, Isolations
Precautions, Patient Cohorting.
- Employee Health: Injuries, Needle stick, Safe Lifting.
- Information Systems: STAR System, VASTECH, EMR.
- Communications with Patient Care Managers and/or
Administration: Practice or Conduct Variations, Emergency Codes,
Employee Injury, Patient/Family Complaints.
- Rounding on Units: Assessment of Patient Care Requirements,
Supports Unit Rounding Initiative.
- Conflict Intervention and Resolution.
- Assessment/Reduction of Sitters and Trips.
- Family Tours.
- Maintains Proper Confidentiality.
- Attendance in monthly staff meeting and all other departmental
meetings deemed mandatory, is required. Attendance at mandatory
in-services is required.
- Initiate and deliver Per Diem and Perm Floater Performance
Evaluations on a monthly basis.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures.
- Oversees the agency process in regards to verification of hours
- Identify educational needs and development of the employees
evaluating their effectiveness.
- Initiates and performs performance reviews for the Permanent
Floater and Perm Diem Staff.
- Contributes to the regulatory process (i.e. CARF, TJC) assuring
that all the components of the program are in place and
- Monitor and provide necessary staffing requirements for the
budget process, as it relates to the Permanent Floaters, Per Diem
Staff and the OSA.
- Monitors the quality of care provided by the Permanent Floaters
and Per Diem; providing counseling and disciplinary action when
- Collaborates with director on long- and short-term planning
relating to the general operations of the Staffing & Resource
- Quality and Patient Safety
- Cost Effectiveness
- Education and Research
As a Registered Nurse at UM Rehab & Ortho, you'll experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and
dental coverage including prescription drug coverage - Tax-Free
Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement and more!
- Work Life Balance: You'll accrue vacation + holiday + sick
leave and personal leave days; we offer dependent care
reimbursement, short/long term disability and an employee assistant
- Educational Assistance: We support your continuing education
and career advancement by offering tuition reimbursement &
continuing education options.
- FREE Parking
We're making Maryland stronger!
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education & Experience
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Maryland is
- BLS required.
- ACLS required.
- BSN is required.
- 3yrs of Charge Nurse experience strongly preferred.
- Critical Care experience strongly preferred.
- Masters or enrollment in a Master's program, is highly
- Certification in area of specialty preferred. Knowledge, Skills
- Demonstrated ability to assume administrative and clinical
- Demonstrated/documented highly effective interpersonal, verbal
and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to learn and apply computer systems in order to manage
patient information...... click apply for full job details
Keywords: UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute, Baltimore , Nurse Supervisor (RN) - Rehab, Healthcare , Gwynn Oak, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!