Sr. Research Nurse
Company: Johns Hopkins University
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Sr. Research Nurse
The Infectious Disease Department seeks a Senior Research Nurse who
will report to the Principal Investigator(s) and to the Research
Nurse Manager and will be responsible for the coordination and
implementation of assigned clinical trials within the research
program. The Sr. Research Nurse will be responsible for the
oversight of the administrative and scientific implementation of
several complex clinical research studies at the Johns Hopkins
Hospital and Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. The Senior
Research Nurse is responsible for coordinating multiple research
studies in ambulatory and hospitalized patients with active
infectious diseases, primarily involving the areas of viral and
bacterial infections, including but not limited to hepatitis B
virus, hepatitis C virus, HIV, SARS-CoV-2, and co-infections with
viral hepatitis and HIV.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Nurse Coordinator for multiple research studies. Primary role
is to assist PI with the development, implementation, management
and coordination of multiple studies.
- Develops, implements, and maintains SOPs.
- Based on research protocols will create and maintain regulatory
binders for studies and will oversee maintenance for the life cycle
of the study.
- Ensure that studies comply with applicable regulations and
guidelines, including GCP, and that staff adhere to study protocols
- Act as contact between PI and other research sites and
- Development and implementation of strategies for study
recruitment and retention of participants.
- Participate in weekly progress meetings for active studies.
- Assists with development & review of institutional SOPs
pertaining to performance of clinical research.
- Prepare site and staff for auditing and monitoring visits.
- Facilitate teamwork between research team, research pharmacy,
research unit staff and other sites.
- Participates in orientation process for new members of the
research team, including mentoring and precepting.
- Coordinates and/or presents continuing education/in-service
programs for members of the research team and others involved in
the research process.
- Attends and participates in in-service and external trainings,
workshops, conferences, and other relevant programs for
professional growth and development.
- Monitors study team compliance with required study procedures &
Nursing Activities Related to Research Include:
- Provide advanced clinical care directly to patients/families
enrolled in research studies.
- Identify and analyze staff, patient and system issues that
impact our subjects in the research setting. Strategize and
implement resolutions to better serve our subjects.
- Manage and administer investigational product(s) that has been
approved for use as part of a research clinical trial.
- Provide nursing care as needed for subjects/families in a
- Ensures collection of pertinent data from internal, external
sources as well as monitors compliance with requirements of
assigned clinical trials.
- Based on study protocols will create study documentation and
case report forms.
- Oversee data query resolution.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Individual must be a registered nurse, licensed in the State of
Maryland or state where practicing. Bachelor's degree in nursing or
related discipline required.
- Minimum of two years' experience in the specialty or a related
area required. Additional experience may substitute for Bachelor's
Degree and related Master's Degree may be considered in lieu of
some experience, as permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to
- Knowledge of EPIC, BLS, and Infusions/ transfusions.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
- Current CPR certification required.
- Must maintain current licensure and certification during
duration of employment.
- 1 Senior Research Program Coordinator
- 2 Research Coordinators
- Special knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers
rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a
- Communication skills using the spoken word.
- Ability to see within normal parameters.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to move about.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester
hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of
experience. Additional related experience may substitute for
required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is
permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may
be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required
for the respective job.
Classified Title: Sr. Research Nurse
Starting Salary Range: $71,510 -$98,410 annually (commensurate with
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM DOM Bay Infectious Disease
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a
pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns
Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation
during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the
HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY
users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as
applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements
may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical
reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to
become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the
JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants
for SOM positions should visit
all other JHU applicants should visit
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which
campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas,
laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving
community contact requires documentation of immune status against
Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella
(chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the
Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include
documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella
vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory
testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are
ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for
those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization
documentation from their own health care providers. Any
vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost
in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit
Keywords: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore , Sr. Research Nurse, Healthcare , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!