Medical Office Assistant CMA - PRN
Company: Johns Hopkins University
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Medical Office Assistant CMA - PRN
Requisition #: 616426
Location: Howard County General Hospital, Columbia, MD 21044
Category: Nursing Support/Patient Care
Work Week: Casual (less than 20)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Jan. 17, 2023
Join an amazing global healthcare organization!
Excellent compensation package!
Awesome benefits, including dependent tuition reimbursement!
Requisition #: 505343
Location: 10700 Charter Drive, Suite 205, Columbia, MD 21044
Shift: Need to be available Mon-Thurs 8am-8pm and Fridays 8am-5pm
and one Saturday a month from 8am-12pm
Casual, on-call (16 hours)
Day Shift, 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Weekend work required
Non-Exempt; Pay Grade:
Position Summary: NF
1. Collects patient information at intake.
2. Use automated systems to expedite patient scheduling,
pre-registration, check-in and check-out.
3. Consistently and accurately coordinates appropriate patient
visits between various departments according to departmental
4. Contacts insurance company via telephone according to department
guidelines when necessary to obtain referrals/authorization etc.
Accurately verifies referral and authorization information and
enters into computer system according to departmental
5. Collect all co-pays, coinsurances or outstanding balances at the
time of service. Reconcile daily receipts for review. Informs
patients of costs of care being provided, and guides them to
appropriate resources for further information, or assistance.
6. Assist with answering/triaging various in-basket tasks such as
patient messages, appointment information and staff messages.
7. Performs related and delegated tasks, which includes requests
for prescription refills, taking and relaying messages and
directing patient flow.
8. Answers phones and provides routine information to callers.
Sends medical questionnaire forms to patients to obtain missing
information when necessary.
9. Regularly inventory's office equipment and supplies and follows
department guidelines regarding ordering
10. Performs chart review prior to clinic visit to obtain
11. Obtains and records in the electronic medical record (EPIC),
medical history, chief complaint, and vital signs to include:
temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, weight and height
Obtains additional data from patient and significant other based on
initial data collection. Reports abnormal findings to the provider
in a timely manner.
12. Assists patients to exam room and prepares patients for
examination. Identifies patients with special needs.
13. Assists practitioner in identified patient
procedures/treatments/examinations, (preparation, positioning,
14. Confirms and clarifies written orders prior to implementation
of delegated tasks.
15. Under clinical supervision, performs delegated procedures
common to the specialty area in a safe, effective, and efficient
manner according to Clinical Practice Policy and Procedures.
16. Maintains and uses principles of aseptic techniques and
infection control when performing clinical duties and tasks.
17. Appropriately obtains and manages clinic collect lab specimens
per the EPIC process.
18. Recognizes emergency situations and implements emergency
procedures according to clinic guidelines.
19. Identifies patient's need for additional information, and
refers to appropriate healthcare resources. In close partnership
with health care team, assures smooth and efficient patient flow
and clinical operation.
20. Problem solves obstacles to throughput process and notifies
manager and patients of wait time. Identifies opportunities for
performance improvement and provides input for the development of
21. Orders, stocks, and maintains exam rooms and clinic areas with
standard levels of supplies, linens, nourishment, forms and
22. Performs preventative maintenance for clinical equipment to
ensure proper performance. Reports findings to appropriate person
or arranges for repairs as required.
23. Ensures that soiled linen, needle containers and potentially
infectious waste are appropriately disposed and removed from the
clinic and exam area according to the infection control
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
One year work experience in a similar service-oriented industry
At least one year clinical experience required with phlebotomy
experience strongly preferred
CMA certified. Certification/Registration as a Medical Assistant
(e.g. CMA, AAMA, RMA, AMT, or NAHP) required.
Current CPR required
JHM prioritizes the health and well-being of every employee. Come
be healthy at Hopkins!
Diversity and Inclusion are Johns Hopkins Medicine Core Values. We
are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment,
where we embrace and celebrate our differences, where all employees
feel valued, contribute to our mission of serving the community,
and engage in equitable healthcare delivery and workforce
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal
Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity
and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical
disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other
status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free
To apply, visit
Keywords: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore , Medical Office Assistant CMA - PRN, Healthcare , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!