Health Systems Engineer
Company: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laborator
Posted on: September 15, 2018
Health Systems Engineer-15861 Position Description We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated systems thinker to support its global health systems work including assessing current operational capabilities, identifying gaps, and developing prototype solutions. The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington. The National Health Mission Area (NHMA) within JHU/APL seeks to revolutionize health through science and engineering in collaboration with partners such as the Johns Hopkins Enterprise to discover, invent, scale, and disseminate solutions to health and healthcare challenges. The Health Systems Engineering Group supports the NHMA by retaining technical competencies in systems engineering, software engineering, systems analysis, healthcare domain knowledge, population health management, and project management with particular application to healthcare challenges. Job Summary: The successful candidate will apply best practices in project management and systems engineering to healthcare environments, will serve as an on- site systems engineering expert, and will liaise with clinical staff in support of re- engineering technologies, information, and workflows to improve patient safety and healthcare system reliability. Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Guide technical efforts by applying best practices of health systems design, reliability engineering, and outcomes research to customer challenges. (80%)
- Direct internal and external resources by providing vision, scope definition, and technical leadership to direct the development of operational and technological solutions.
- Provide deliverables that meet customer needs, are consistent with APL quality standards, and conform to the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget.
- Manage expectations, identify, mitigate and communicate project risks.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with varying levels of staff and NHMA management team
- Support business development activities to expand or refine the scope of the programs within the National Health Mission Area. Assist or lead activities to acquire new work, which may include preparing white papers, writing proposals, and/or conducting health industry research. (10%)
- Participate in technical project reviews, promote systems engineering best practices, and ensure that deliverables are furnished on-time, within budget, and according to APL technical quality standards. Communicate often and effectively with staff and Group Leadership. (10%) Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time. Qualifications:Required Qualifications:
- BS/MS in systems engineering or other related technical discipline with 5 years relevant experience in systems or industrial engineering.
- At least 3 years' experience in healthcare working in areas such as Quality and Patient Safety Science, Healthcare Delivery Science, or Healthcare specific analytics.
- At least 5 years of project management experience including experience in healthcare-related settings.
- A broad understanding of current challenges in health management and healthcare systems.
- Strong demonstrated skills in leadership, change management, organizational learning, and planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish relationships and effectively interact with all levels of staff and management, as well as external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a multidisciplinary team of technical staff in building consensus and solving complex problems.
- Ability to travel to sponsor locations up to 60%. Desired Qualifications:
- Advanced degrees in Engineering, healthcare delivery or patient safety, Public or Population Health, Epidemiology, Statistics or related disciplines.
- Exposure to U.S. Military Health System, related vocabulary, and data systems.
- Experience with population health programs, healthcare policy development, comparative effectiveness research or health services research.
- Previous formal line management experience.
- Secret clearance Special Working Conditions:
- This position requires the ability to travel up to 60%. Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government secret clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship. Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at . Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Primary Location *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel Schedule Full-time -
Keywords: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laborator, Baltimore , Health Systems Engineer, Healthcare , Laurel, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!