Company: MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
Posted on: February 16, 2019
General Summary of Position
Works in a variety of patient care areas to independently assess, plan, implement, and evaluate the nursing care of patients from admission through discharge. In collaboration with the patient and family, provides theory-based professional nursing care and coordinates care delivery with the physician and other members of the health care team. Qualifications
- EDUCATION: Valid RN license in the State of Maryland.
- EXPERIENCE: 2 years nursing experience.
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: CPR certification.
- SKILLS: Demonstrated ability to precept. Competent in principles of practice in all units. Effective interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication skills. Basic math skills. Basic computer skills preferred. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Based on assessment of physical, emotional, biophysical, and spiritual needs provides direct patient care and evaluates outcomes. Incorporates the principles of patient-centered care.
- Communicates patient's clinical information clearly and accurately in verbal and written format. Clearly and accurately documents pertinent information in the patient's medical record. Consistently demonstrates effective documentation practices and develops strategies to ensure complete documentation of patient care.
- Completes timely initial and ongoing patient assessments, considering the physiological, psychosocial, spiritual, cultural, and developmental needs of patients and families. Serves as a resource in planning care for complex patients.
- Contributes to optimal patient outcomes as coordinator of a unit-based health care team. Supervises the provision of nursing care to assigned patients. Consistently demonstrates effective leadership behavior. Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality. Facilitates collaboration among other health team members fostering effective communication with other disciplines.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations. Seeks opportunities to participate in developing, revising standards of practice to meet changing patient population requirements.
- Evaluates the patient's response to treatment and progress toward identified goals and revises plan of care as appropriate. Monitors medical condition, intervenes using critical thinking, and reports patient changes to appropriate personnel.
- Identifies health teaching needs of patients and families. Develops, implements, and evaluates a health teaching program to meet the identified needs. Effectively uses and adapts a variety of teaching resources in meeting he learning needs of patient/families.
- In collaboration with the patient, family, and other members of the health care team, systematically develops, revises, and coordinates the patient's plan of care. Formulates nursing diagnosis as necessary. Assists others in developing, revising, and coordinating patient's plan of care.
- In coordinating the delivery of patient care, delegates activities to unlicensed staff in accordance with MedStar/facility policies, principles of Patient-Centered Care, and the Maryland Nurse Practice Act. Supervises the performance of the delegated nursing task by the unlicensed staff. Assists staff in delegation/time management skills. Identifies ways to facilitate working relationships among all levels of staff.
- Initiates and monitors discharge planning activities in collaboration with other members of the health care team. Takes the lead in facilitating timely discharge.
- Maintains a safe and therapeutic environment of caring for patients and families. Provides basic patient comfort measures. When necessary, provides environmental support to expedite timely patient admission or transfer. Identifies and acts upon opportunities to improve the environment of care.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Provides for the emotional support of patients and families during the crisis of illness. Models patient/family advocacy. About MedStar Health MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment. Department: Nursing - Direct Patient Care - provided by Dice Development, Environmental, Management, Research
Keywords: MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore , RN Rotational, Healthcare , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!