People Director / HR Business Partner
Company: Waste Management
Posted on: October 18, 2020
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading
provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North
America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating
excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves
nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial
and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of
collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling
facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
As a member of the People Organization the Director will be charged
with providing world class strategic people solutions and guidance
to assigned leaders and business segments. The People Director is
responsible for developing, guiding and executing initiatives in
the areas of culture, change management strategic coaching, talent
assessment and development, succession and performance management
to drive high performance in for a diverse workforce in an emerging
and fast paced enterprise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be
* Coaches and advises leaders, supporting multiple
functions/departments to create a high-performance culture through
talent management, performance management, and leadership
development (coach, counsel, career development, performance
* Identifies and activates People solutions that impact the Company
s ability to meet business objectives.
* Participates as a key member of business leadership team
providing progressive people solutions such as integrated talent
management, workforce planning, succession planning, organization
structure to increase business impact.
* Partners and collaborates with appropriate Centers of Expertise
to develop holistic People strategies and initiatives to support
business objectives at an Enterprise, Area, and Functional
* Leads/manages projects and/or participates as a project member on
People initiatives as assigned by the Senior People Leadership
* Hires, leads, educates, develops, coaches, and performance
manages members of the People Organization.
* Proposes People solutions and/or organizational changes based
upon an analysis of critical business opportunities. Help shape the
business strategy, conduct organizational diagnoses to determine
which capabilities are most critical, design and deliver people
practices to accomplish strategy.
* Develops written and oral presentations that have high clarity
and impact. Provides regular written reports as needed to Senior
* Delivers People solutions that are considered value added,
measurable, directly tied to the business objectives
* Serves as an advisor to management for employment related legal
issues and ensures local compliance with federal, state,
provincial, and local employment laws.
* Leads organizational change initiatives that support Waste
Management s strategic business framework.
* Identifies and applies new ideas to adapt to changing work
* Partners with the Senior People Team to identify and prioritize
opportunities for process improvement and new initiatives.
* Leadership activity will include talent management through proper
succession planning programs for key contributor and management
positions, learning and development programs for preparing
employees for career advancement and employee development programs
to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business of
the Company and the waste industry.
* Develops and implements policies and programs for effective
management of the people resources of each department. Included,
but not limited to, this area are programs associated with employee
relations, diversity & inclusion, sexual harassment, employee
complaints, external education and career development.
* Provides technical advice, knowledge sharing, coaching and
guidance to others within the human resources discipline.
* Continually challenges and improves the programs, policies,
practices and processes associated with meeting the strategic and
operational people issues of the organization.
* Provides thought leadership to developing and maintaining the
skills needed to be an effective business partner.
* The People Director will not only demonstrate, but will also lead
initiatives, promote participation, and recognize employees and
leaders that live WM Commitments and Values.
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the
management of managerial employees. This includes:
* Direct supervision of three (4) or more full-time employees
The requirements listed below are representative of the
qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
* Education: Bachelor s Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree,
High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four (4) years of
relevant work experience.
* Experience: Ten (10) years experience managing human resource
systems, process, programs and implementations (in addition to
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
* SPHR certification preferred.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
* Possess & leverage business acumen to drive shareholder value
* Strong analytical & diagnostic skills
* Ability to assess & develop individuals knowledge, skills, and
* Innovative mindset identifying new ways to solve work problems
resulting in unique/differentiated solutions.
* Ability to gain acceptance of ideas and commitment to action that
support specific work outcomes through professional influence
* Utilizes workforce data to identify People insights to make
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and
work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
* Required to travel 10% - 40% depending upon location
* Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as
keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
* Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than
30 pounds rarely;
* Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as
cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
* Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves
dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements
occasionally as necessitated by travel to field operating
* Normal setting for this job is an office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive
total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life
Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase
Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive
Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that
benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for,
please click \\"Apply.
Keywords: Waste Management, Baltimore , People Director / HR Business Partner, Human Resources , Columbia, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!