Software Engineer II (Ruby)
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Fearless is looking for a Software Engineer II to add to our
diverse team of 180+ employees (and counting!).
What you'll be doing:
We're looking to change the world by building software with a soul,
and we want your help.
The Software Engineer II develops, maintains, and enhances complex
software systems that solve customer and user problems. This role
brings breadth across software development skills and depth in
specific technologies like languages and frameworks that allows
them to build effective software solutions. The Software Engineer
II shares in the responsibility with other software engineers and
team members to deliver maintainable solutions.
What you should know:
- This position is located in Baltimore.
- The position is operating remotely during COVID-19. We value
our culture and connection, plus flexibility to work from home. We
are currently designing hybrid options.
- To protect our Fearless community, and in consideration of the
Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for
Federal Contractors, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC), the Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and
Health Administration (OSHA), and a variety of public health
authorities, Fearless is implementing a mandatory COVID-19
vaccination policy for our full workforce. This vaccine mandate
will help keep our people and our community safe through this
ongoing health crisis.
- All new employees must have received or be willing to receive
the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered for the
position. Reasonable accommodations for qualified exemption
requests will be considered.
We need your coding skills! What other skills will help you succeed
at Fearless? Glad you asked! We're excited about candidates who can
accomplish the following:
Responsibilities and Contributions:
- Coaches and mentors others to develop their professional
- Takes initiative for their own growth through personal
- Decomposes tasks into discrete objectives to serve the
strategic direction of the team.
- Builds software solutions with minimal direction in the form of
maintainable code in accordance with the project/organization
- Delivers complete software solutions that function well within
the full system including documentation and automated
- Debugs existing software and corrects defects.
- Performs manual exploratory testing individually and with the
team, as appropriate for the project test strategy.
- Advises the team on specific implementation options that meet
- Contributes actively in team Agile processes through
collaboration, discussion, and/or preparation.
- Provides feedback to improve the team's technical
- Collaborates with other Engineers and Designers to implement
features that meet design specifications and deliver business
- Contributes during all phases of the development lifecycle from
task creation to production deployment of new code.
- Coaches others on the team through code reviews.
- Seeks and engages peer-reviews of tasks and deliverables;
coaches others when reviewing their tasks and deliverables.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies:
- Proficient in web-development including front-end (browser) and
back-end (server) including UI components, client-server
integrations, APIs, and data persistence.
- Proficient in at least one programming language and associated
framework such as Node.js (express), Python (Django/Flask), Go,
Java 8+ (Spring.io), Ruby (Ruby on Rails).
- Proficient with important libraries and technologies in the
ecosystem of programming language expertise.
- Proficient with the unit testing frameworks appropriate to the
language of expertise.
translate designs into well structured markup and maintainable
- Proficient with at least one front-end technology like React,
Angular, Vue, Ember, Backbone, Svelte.
- Experience with building applications in containerized
- Expert in basic git actions like cloning, creating branches,
navigating between branches, staging code for commit, committing
code, resetting, and merging.
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to learn new systems and
- Ability to discuss technical tasks and team process topics with
team members and outside stakeholders.
- Proficiency with advanced Git actions like rebasing, squashing,
- Ability to operate and manage work, strategically reason, and
build relationships and influence others.
We believe in paying people fairly, so we've established a
compensation model that ensures everyone at Fearless - regardless
of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability,
religion, age, nationality, or negotiation skills - is given equal
pay for equal work.
So, what's next?
Over the years, we've honed a 3-step interview process that helps
ensure that every employee we hire is the right fit for us and that
we're the right fit for them. If we think you're a good fit, we'll
get in touch and start scheduling your interviews!
- Culture Ad Interview - We're a people-first company, so we
always start off by getting to know more about you, how you work,
what your career goals are, and what you're passionate about. This
is your opportunity to ask questions and get a feel for Fearless,
so don't be shy!
- Technical Interview - This is where we get into the nitty
gritty of the project. During the Technical Interview, you'll be
interviewed by our Passion Coaches and/or the team's Project Lead
to make sure your skills align with the project requirements.
- Business Interview - At this point, you've made it to the final
frontier! The Business Interview is when you'll meet with Fearless
leadership to dot the i's, cross the t's, and determine whether or
not we'll be moving forward with the hiring process.
Our people make us who we are. We believe that every member of the
Fearless team has something to share, and we value the unique
viewpoint you'll bring to our community. But we value your
community, too, so we offer fulfilling work that stays in balance
with the rest of life. Because everyone has different needs,
desires, and goals, our benefits offer the choices and flexibility
that our team members need to live well and succeed. Here are a few
highlights of our benefits package:
- Flexible schedule
- Family-friendly workplace
- 3 weeks accrued PTO + 1 week sick leave + 10 federal holidays +
your birthday off
- 100% coverage of the employee-only premium for HSA, HMO, or PPO
plan and Employee Wellness Plan
- Tech, education / training, and snack allowances
- Free parking in downtown Baltimore / public transit
- Safe Harbor 401(k) plan with employer contributions
Fearless is a full-stack digital services firm in Baltimore that
delivers sleek, modern, and user-friendly software designed to push
the boundaries of possibility. It's our mission to build software
with a soul - tools that empower communities and make a difference
- so we can create a world where good software powers the things
That's not our only goal, though. We also strive to create a purple
culture that makes our employees excited to come to work every day.
That's why we encourage our employees to pursue their passions,
both in and out of the office. With built-in company mentoring,
continuing education support, flexible schedules, and a
family-friendly work environment, we've created a culture that
allows our team to thrive professionally and personally.
Fearless believes in equal opportunity employment. We won't
discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of
race, gender, nationality, age, religion, disability, military
status, or sexual orientation. As a company and as individuals,
we're committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment
for our team, our family members, our clients, our subcontractors,
and our vendors.
Keywords: Fearless, Baltimore , Software Engineer II (Ruby), IT / Software / Systems , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!