Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Company: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Do you enjoy solving complicated problems?
Are you searching for meaningful work in production research computing?
Are you passionate about Linux?
Do you like contributing to automation?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an experienced engineer to help us implement new technologies and automate a growing Linux footprint. Our team is responsible for deploying and maintaining a development environment and high performance compute (HPC) cluster. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to work with new and advanced technologies. You will be joining a team of problem solvers who are committed to scalable solutions in a complex secure setting
As a Senior Linux Systems Engineer...
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS degree (Computer Science preferred) or additional 5 years' experience.
- Have 5+ years' experience as a Linux system administrator.
- Experienced in automated deployment of Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems.
- Are skilled in configuration management in Ansible and Puppet.
- Are proficient in developing shell scripts and task automation.
- Have the ability to work independently on a wide variety of given tasks.
- Are willing and able to work well with end-users with differing needs and experience.
- Have or are able to obtain a IAT Level II Certification including though not limited Security+ CE Certification.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You 'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have experience managing RedHat Enterprise Linux.
- Have knowledge of classified computer facility operational procedures and NISPOM, DSS, RMF and/or other DOD security regimes.
- Are knowledgeable of scheduler and resource managers SLURM
- Have experience with heterogeneous Windows and Linux environments and data center operations including infrastructure, systems monitoring, and computer clusters of 100+ computers.
- Have a proven ability and interest in documenting systems and operational procedures.
- Preference for current security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/career
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone's voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
Keywords: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, Baltimore , Senior Linux Systems Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Laurel, Maryland
here to apply!