Software Assurance Engineer - Goddard SMAS II
Company: Millennium Engineering and Integration Company
Posted on: November 11, 2019
This position supports the Safety and Mission Assurance Services II
contract at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.
Current incumbents are encouraged to apply
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides coordination and guidance in preparation of technical
appraisals of programming languages and systems, computational
software and related technology, and the integration of computers
into the overall functions of scientific computation, and data
acquisition, transmission, and processing. Ensures that corrective
measures are carried out appropriately and that they meet
acceptable reliability standards. Develops overall operating
criteria to ensure implementation of the software quality programs
according to project, process, contract requirements, and
objectives. Reviews software design, change specifications, and
plans against contractual and/or process requirements. Reviews
applicable specifications, materials, tools, techniques, and
methodologies. Performs or directs verification of software
requirement allocations, traceability, and testability. Interacts
with customer representatives concerning the status of assigned
tasks. Administers and coordinates tasks for assigned project work
* Ensure that software assurance requirements are being levied via
RFP s, implemented via plans.
* Develop a plan of action towards ensuring compliance with system
safety, reliability and quality assurance requirements. Identify
key actions, milestones, deliverables, and value.
* Evaluate the vendor proposals to verify that the software
assurance requirements in the RFP have been addressed
* Ensure that each Software Assurance Classification Assessment is
documented and retained as part of the records for the project
* Verify that the provider s software assurance plan meets
* Perform surveillance tasks to ensure compliance with the software
lifecycle processes and product requirements.
* Verify that the provider has developed and maintained processes
that are compliant with the Flight Project requirements for
off-the-shelf software to be integrated into the intended
* Assess and approve software certification/acceptance criteria and
objective evidence prior to delivery for all software in support of
the project acceptance review
* Assure that any acquirer facilities (for example, test rigs, test
stand, lab, development environment, and hardware) are prepared to
receive and install the software
* Assure that all acquisition lessons learned are recorded and
entered into the NASA lessons learned database
* Ensure that software assurance processes are in place for
operation of the software developed or acquired by NASA.
* Perform periodic operational assessments, at a minimum of 24
months, to ensure baseline management of software requirements,
design, code, and documentation and to ensure review and approval
of software changes or software induced operational workarounds
* Assure that software assurance processes are in place for
* Assure the transfer and maintenance of any licenses, simulators,
models, and test suites from the provider/developer to NASA, or the
designated maintenance contractor
* Assure that any metrics collected relative to the software, along
with any trending and reliability data are transferred to the
maintenance organization and maintained in order to better
understand and predict problem areas in the software
* Assure that software engineering and management prepare, approve,
and execute a retirement plan
* Assure that the provider develops and maintains a software
assurance plan that implements a software assurance program
covering the entire lifecycle. This Plan includes documentation of
software assurance procedures, processes, deliverables, tools,
techniques, and methods to be used. (Note: This plan can be a
standalone Software Assurance Plan or part of another SR&QA
* Assure that the provider s software assurance program describes
what metrics will be collected and reported in regards to the
software assurance program activities
* Assure that the provider provides software assurance status
reports to the acquirer SR&QA Manager as defined in the
acquirer software assurance plan
* Coordinate quality activities with software safety and V&V
* Work with the provider to assure the following:
* Software code meets requirements.
* Error handling and fault detection have been addressed
* Verification and validation plans and procedures contain
provisions to determine if fault tolerance and safety criteria are
* Plans are complete and mutually consistent
* Software requirements meet flight project requirements.
* Project documentation is reviewed for quality impact
* Functional configuration and physical configuration maintained in
accordance with certification requirements
* Software development plans specify the standards and procedures
for management, acquisition, engineering, and assurance
* Problems with products are reported during participation in
formal and informal reviews and meeting.
* Changes to the software have been reviewed and approved
Work with project contractors to assure the following:
* Software engineering practices, development environment, test
environment, and libraries employed for the project adhere to
applicable standards and procedures.
* Formal reviews and inspections have independent presentations by
the provider / acquirer SR&QA Manager to address software
issues. Formal inspections are performed per NASA-STD-2202-93.
* The software quality metrics processes are implemented according
* Software is developed according to an approved process.
* Trends in software quality metrics are reported to assist in risk
* Status and quality of the software are presented at formal
5 or more years of directly related experience. In lieu of degree
and 3 years experience, 11 years of directly related work
experience may be substituted. Previous experience at NASA GSFC is
a plus. 5-10% travel required.
* Knowledge of quality processes such as AS9100, ISO9001, CMMI and
Six Sigma/Lean Six Sigma
* Experience with Corporate quality systems and implementation of
* Leadership experience and experience leading integrated product
teams in development and/or assessment activities
* Experience with project management tools such as DOORS, program
control tools, and risk management tools.
BA/BS degree in a technical discipline (i.e., engineering, computer
science, quality assurance).Masters degree a plus.
Clearance None required.
Millennium offers a comprehensive benefits package. Millennium is
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Millennium does
not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law
including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability,
age, citizenship status, or Vietnam era or special disabled
veteran's status in recruitment, employment, promotion,
compensation, benefits, or training. It is also Millennium's policy
to maintain a work environment free from discrimination on the
basis of sexual orientation.
Millennium participates in the E-Verify program.
Keywords: Millennium Engineering and Integration Company, Baltimore , Software Assurance Engineer - Goddard SMAS II, IT / Software / Systems , Greenbelt, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!