Company: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
Posted on: October 19, 2020
Are you a UI/UX guru interested in all things related to
Do you want to be a strong advocate for great design, in all its
Are your happiest moments when you work together with scientists,
engineers, or technical staff who are achieving new heights because
they are each contributing their special expertise and
Are you passionate about solving a design challenge or learning a
new plugin to make the coolest and most effective solution?
If so, we could make a phenomenal team!
Our newly formed Communications Department is seeking an
experienced UI/UX designer within our Multimedia Design Group! This
group of creatives will provide technical staff, Lab leaders, and
our Lab engagement and public relations strategists with
high-quality multi-media products, ranging from short animations to
scripted videos, from websites to microsites, from graphic
identifiers to staging design, and from conceptual to technical
As a UI/UX designer at APL you will---
- Develop outstanding digital products in partnership with an
interdisciplinary design section of hardworking designers,
illustrators, video producers, animators, and other creative staff
- Be responsible for the user experience (UX) and user interface
(UI) design of our various digital assets.
- Consult with technical investigators and leaders to determine
best structure for web/mobile pages to meet both functional and
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects within design
specifications and budgets.
- Work collaboratively with at all levels of a matrixed
organization to ensure a seamless workflow and the highest quality
products and deliverables.
- Ensure APL's brand is consistent in all deliverables and create
style guides as needed.
- Report to the Section Supervisor of one of our
interdisciplinary sections within our Multimedia Design Group.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- A B.A. in design or related field or equivalent years of
- 3-5 years of professional front-end web development experience;
(science and technology industry experience highly
- Proven success delivering impactful desktop and mobile products
and experiences through effective coding.
Modern MVC/MVVM technologies.
- Sound knowledge of graphic and interactive design principles
and ability to apply that knowledge to the design of desktop and
- Working knowledge of prototyping tools like Axure or Sketch,
and Bootstrap v4.
- Proficiency with with Adobe Creative Suite and other design
software. Have an aptitude for learning and applying new software
- Unquestionable integrity and excellent written and verbal
- The ability to work on both Mac and Windows platforms.
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If
selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance
investigation and must meet the requirements for access to
classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Any experience with the web frameworks Angular and
- Familiarity with Git.
- Experience with Visual Studio.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense,
security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of
challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance
program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our
employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance.
APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area.
Learn more about our career opportunities at
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity,
sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
Keywords: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), Baltimore , UI/UX Designer, Other , Laurel, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!