Sr. Software Engineer
Company: Exelon Corporation
Posted on: October 19, 2020
DescriptionAt Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of
the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer
bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies
that strives for the highest standards of power generation,
competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of
outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought
leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a
diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design,
build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to
motivating the success of our employees through competitive base
salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune
100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly
shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize
your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Lead activities relating to designing, building, testing,
implementing and maintaining solutions, products and processes.
Provide IT teams and business personnel with technology solutions
by evaluating technology standards, market availability of
products, risks and benefits of technology to deliver solutions
that meet business/IT needs. Coordinate the tasks of less
experienced engineers and collaborate across teams as needed.
Independence level: Works independently with minimal guidance.
Works closely with scrum masters, project managers, QA, Creative,
and UX team members to ensure compliance with project needs.
- Your role will be centered on the development and improvement of
new and existing features. Additionally, you will be reviewing the
code of your peers, advocating for standard development
methodologies, and participating in an inclusive, energetic and
highly cross-functional team. The role encompasses architect,
design, implementation, and testing to ensure building products
right and to release them with high quality.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Engage with business partners to gather information, analyze
requirements and deliver practical, efficient and cost-effective
solutions that satisfy business needs. Writes product
specifications and design documentation for assigned system
- Design, develop and/or review complex code to ensure solutions
meet the requirements of functional and technical specifications.
Develop and/or review project technical architecture design and
development. Solutions may include but are not limited to the
development of various types of applications, web, mobile app, full
stack or integrations hosted on premises data centers or in the
cloud. Develop automated Unit tests and/or automated UI tests.
- Lead engineering team and provide oversight for less
experienced engineers; Stay on top of latest technologies and
trends. Using error reports, establish priorities and assign out
bugs to relevant team members for resolution. Support development
of version control principles (e.g. Git and working within an agile
environment), CI/CD pipeline and various automations.
- Ensure all risks and issues that affect the project are
captured following set process and are actioned appropriately.
- Enhance knowledge of and compliance with preferred
technologies, methodologies, standards and policies. Maintain
technical knowledge and business acumen within own discipline or
function. Strong debugging and problem-solving skills; lead peer
- Provide IT teams and business personnel with technology
solutions by weighing advantages of technology trends, market
availability of products, risks and benefits of technology to meet
business/IT needs. Participate in IT architecture review and
standards setting. Assist in the development of white papers,
conducting presentations as needed to explain why a technology is
being recommended by IT.
- Maintain deep knowledge of technology and its application
across our business areas or for our customers
- Promote knowledge via seminars, presentations and publications
within IT and Exelon
- Participate in technological innovation to drive new business
opportunities and solve complex business problems
- Shape and advance core team processes to increase operational
efficiency and quality.
- Coach and lead other engineers assigned to their product or
- Considered highly skilled and proficient in discipline.
Conducts complex, important work under minimal supervision and with
wide latitude for independent judgment. QualificationsMINIMUM
- Bachelor s degree (ex: Computer Science or related discipline)
and 5 - 8 years of relevant experience (programming technologies)
or minimum 9-12 years of relevant combination of education and work
- Demonstrated ability to lead small to medium teams in
delivering software solutions
- Demonstrates strong software development capabilities coupled
with the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated strong teamwork skills with self-motivation to
achieve success in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Excellent communications skills - Able to effectively
communicate highly technical information in non-technical
terminology (written and verbal).
- Strong knowledge of Operating Systems - Windows, Solaris or
Linux; or strong knowledge of cloud platforms Azure, Amazon or
- Strong knowledge of software development languages specific to
NodeJS, .NET, HTML, AngularJS, iOS Swift and/or Objective-C,
Android Mobile, Xamarin
- Strong knowledge of SQL or NoSQL databases - Oracle, SQL
Server, Cosmos DB, MySQL, Redis, Splunk
- Strong understanding of advanced programming concepts, data
structure and algorithms
- Prior experience in leading software development efforts,
designing conceptual data models & system architecture, and user
interfaces, is a major plus
- Master s degree in CS (or equivalent field) plus 3 years of
- Experience with Agile software development and test-driven
- Experience in automated testing including unit testing, UI
testing and functional testing
- Demonstrated understanding of what makes good software design,
a deeper understanding of programming languages, and an ability to
solve engineering problems of increasing difficulty. Shows
initiative beyond pure implementation.
- Experience building highly scalable applications
- Experience working with SCRUM, Kanban or other Agile
- Self-motivated and able to prioritize and manage workload and
meet critical project milestones and deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation and
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees
or applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race,
religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran
status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster
Associated topics: application architect, c, design, devops, maven,
programming, senior, senior software engineer, software architect,
software engineer lead
Keywords: Exelon Corporation, Baltimore , Sr. Software Engineer, Other , Parkville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!