Clinical Nurse Educator (RN) - Psychiatry
Company: UMMC Midtown Campus
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Job ID: 85720
Area of Interest: Nursing
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F
Job Facility: UMMC Midtown Campus
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Clinical Nurse Educator (RN) - Psychiatry
Full Time - Day
Actively seeking candidates for a Clinical Nurse Educator (RN) -
Psychiatry to join our team at Universtity of Marylard Medical
Center at Midtown Campus.
University of Maryland Medical Center - Midtown Campus has had a
long history of working to keep our community healthy. Located in
Baltimore's cultural center near the historic Mount Vernon
neighborhood, UMMC Midtown Campus is a 200-bed non-profit,
community teaching hospital, and part of the University of Maryland
Medical System. UMMC Midtown Campus was named a 2014-2015 Best
Regional Hospital in Baltimore by U.S. News & World Report. UMMC-M
cares for people of all ages who struggle with mental health issues
- no matter where they are on their path to recovery. Quality care,
safety, patient and family satisfaction and a humanistic approach
to psychiatric services are the hallmarks of our philosophy of
Our Psychiatry Inpatient and Outpatient services include:
- Assessment - psychiatric, medical, functional skill and
- Individualized Treatment Planning
- Medication Management and Education
- Behavioral Health Therapy- including group, individual and
family therapy to help patients build memory, attention, and coping
skills. Our inpatient and outpatient programs use a variety of
therapies in both group and individual settings. They are designed
to build memory and attention and teach coping skills.
The inpatient program at University of Maryland Medical Center
Midtown Campus works to meet the complex needs of adults who need
support and supervision as they struggle with mental health. Our
diverse team of psychiatrists , nurses, social workers, pharmacists
and occupational and recreational therapists is dedicated to
evidence-based, compassionate, and patient-centered care.
The Clinical Educator is responsible for the development and
implementation of the education plans for the nursing department,
both department wide and unit specific. In this, the Clinical
Educator is responsible for the orientation of new employees,
provision of in-services, development and implementation of special
education programs as determined by need. The Clinical Educator
works with the Clinical Manager and staff to identify learning
needs on the units and plans for education accordingly. The
Clinical Educator functions as a consultative resource to staff on
standards of practice, and thus must remain current with nursing
practices. The Clinical Educator assists staff in planning
in-services presentations, etc., to support shared governance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In consultation and collaboration with the Director of
Professional Development and the Clinical Education team, develops
and implements a comprehensive education plan for Registered
Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Patient Care Technicians, unit
clerks and other staff as appropriate.
- Communicates Education Plan to all necessary managers and
- Coordinates the implementation of the Education Plan so that it
is organized hospital wide.
- Identifies in conjunction with the Directors, Managers and
Professional Development Council, hospital wide and unit specific
competencies and frequency required, then incorporates these into
the Education Plan.
- Assists with organizing, scheduling and staffing competencies,
hospital wide and unit specific.
- Plans, coordinates and revises as necessary the unit based
orientation for units assigned, working with the Clinical Manager
and the preceptors to assure a thorough orientation, based on the
unit's patient population and the scope of services offered.
- Follows up regularly (weekly) with preceptor, orientee and
manager during orientation to assure good communication, to assist
with evaluation of the orientee, assessing learning needs and
communicating progress to the Clinical Manager, and to assure
records are complete.
- Develops/participates in special projects as needed, such as
new equipment or new and/or revised practices.
- Using a variety of methods, assesses the learning needs of the
nursing department staff, hospital wide and unit specific.
- Based on assessed needs for continuing education and the
Education Plan, determines the best teaching methods, and then
coordinates the time, space and equipment needed to present the
- Maintains records to show attendance and successful completion
of educational offerings and/or requirements, and assures the
Clinical Manager receives records for employee files. Enters
information into the computer.
- Demonstrates competency in subject matters being presented.
Presentations are neat, orderly, clear and professional.
- Monitors staff competency continuously through direct
observation, discussions with managers and discussions with
- Research: a) Reviews literature and keeps informed of current
trends in her/his field. b) Utilizes current research findings for
proposed changes in policies, procedures and of program
- Assists with development of performance improvement plans for
new employees as well as other staff, as needed. Assists in
evaluating completeness of the plan.
- Maintains/updates educational resources.
- Provides input to Nurse Manager for probationary and annual
evaluation as requested.
- Participates in related consortiums.
- Attend, actively participate in committee and council meetings.
Act as a chair as requested.
- Demonstrates support and compliance with University Maryland
Medical Center Midtown Campus' mission, vision, values, philosophy,
goals, objectives and policies.
- Performs additional functions to assist the Director of
Professional Development and other activities as assigned.
As a Clinical Educator at UM Midtown Campus, you will
- A competitive pay scale
- A collaborative and compassionate environment
- A comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental and
- Vacation time + sick time + personal days, tuition
reimbursement, retirement contributions and more!
- EPCI with on-site support
When we say "our community", we mean it.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Currently licensed RN in the State of Maryland
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, MS preferred.
- Certification in specialty desired.
- Three-five years experience in clinical specialty,
- Formal teaching experience preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran
status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Associated topics: ambulatory, bsn, coronary, domiciliary,
maternal, nurse rn, recovery, staff nurse, tcu, unit
Keywords: UMMC Midtown Campus, Baltimore , Clinical Nurse Educator (RN) - Psychiatry, Other , Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!