Manager - Service Center I
Company: Xpress Global Systems
Posted on: June 12, 2021
POSITION SCOPE: The Service Center Manager manages customer
service, safety, dispatch and warehousing/dock operations for a
service center facility responsible for city operations.
Responsibilities include routing and loading; dock operations; and
inventory control in an LTL environment. This includes management
of the service center; driver, dock and operations personnel;
safety and compliance. The Service Center Manager is responsible
for planning, organizing, managing and directing office operations.
Extensive reviewing of Service Center operational and policy
procedures. This position oversees and is directly involved in all
phases of the service center operation. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
- Supervise, lead and direct the terminal operations loading and
unloading of freight, customer service functions, facilities
management and all other aspects of managing a service center.
- Review, monitor and control all operations for the service
center. Implement effective operations strategy to react
appropriately to changes in revenue or expense such as to maximize
- Create driver route assignments and dispatch drivers in a
manner that optimizes assets both equipment and driver.
- Interface with Linehaul Operations to ensure timely arrivals
- Assist linehaul operations with day-to-day optimization at the
service center level.
- Ensure that trailers are loaded and unloaded to meet service
- Manage, direct and train dockworkers in warehouse operations.
Load and unload freight. Move products with a lift truck and by
- Create and assign work schedules. Maintain proper staffing to
support operations based on freight volumes. Adjust work schedules
and staffing levels as needed to optimize profits while meeting
- Ensure equipment is properly maintained. Ensure preventive
maintenance on Company equipment is done on schedule. Coordinate
repair and replacement of equipment as needed.
- Ensure Service Center is properly maintained. Identify and
negotiate vendor agreements for Service Center. Identify and
coordinate needed repairs.
- Analyze structure, methods and performance of service center
operations to ensure compliance with standard operating
- Participate in conference calls and facilitate training and
- Other duties as assigned
PREREQUISITE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EDUCATION:
- Four-year degree in Transportation Management or other relevant
education and minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience in a
facility of similar scope; or at least 5 years of relevant
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to lead,
manage, coach and develop subordinates.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of transportation and LTL Operations required,
floor covering industries experience is preferred.
- AS400 experience preferred.
- Forklift certification preferred.
- Candidates must have proven leadership experience.
- Must have the ability to lead in a fast-paced environment.
- Thorough knowledge of LTL Industry, DOT Rules and Regulations,
OSHA Laws, Hazardous Materials Regulations, NMFC and Tariff Rules,
and company policies and procedures, preferred.
- Strong Organizational / Communication/ and Logistical skills
with solid problem-solving abilities.
- Knowledge of all aspects of ensuring quality freight handling
- Must have computer skills and be proficient with Microsoft
- Knowledge of the City and surrounding areas
- Previous Service Center Management experience in the LTL
industry is STRONGLY preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequently lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds and
occasionally up to 70 pounds; pull up to 100 pounds and push up to
- Occasionally climb stairs, frequently stoop, kneel or
- Use hands and arms to reach for, grasp and manipulate
- Manual dexterity to operate a computer and other office
- Exposure to extreme cold and/or hot working conditions
- Average exposure to fumes working around tractor trailers, lift
trucks, yard tractors present in the distribution environment
- Correctable vision and hearing
- Ability to travel occasionally
Most work is conducted in an environment where there is
significant exposure to outdoor weather conditions and site
conditions may also occur. Personal protective equipment must be
worn in all areas as required. Although the work usually is not
considered inherently dangerous, must be careful while performing
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the
employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties
as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as
required. XGS reserves the right to revise or change duties as the
need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or
implied contract of employment.
Keywords: Xpress Global Systems, Baltimore , Manager - Service Center I, Other , Hanover, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!