Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on: June 12, 2021
SAIC is seeking Senior Mechanical Design Engineers on the OMES
II contract in support of the OSAM-1 (On-orbit Servicing, Assembly,
and Manufacturing) program in NASA's Exploration and In-Space
Services Projects Division at Goddard Space Flight Center. This
position is located in Greenbelt, MD, but 100% remote candidates
will be considered.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC)
Exploration and In-Space Services Projects Division (NExIS) managed
mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a
Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight
Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and
development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems
required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and
facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle
and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for
the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the
OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing
Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted
The engineer will provide mechanical design engineering support
for the OSAM-1 I&T team. The OSAM-1 I&T team is responsible
for the design, fabrication, assembly, and test of the mechanical
ground support equipment and mockups required to perform the ground
testing of the OSAM-1 mission at NASA GSFC.
Job duties include:
- Design mechanical ground support equipment to support the
ground test campaign of the OSAM-1 servicing mission. Includes
taking the MGSE from concept through design, drafting, fabrication,
- Ensure that the quality, accuracy, and integrity of your
technical documentation, reports, and deliverables comply with NASA
and OSAM-1 standards, project plans, and policies.
- Update preliminary and legacy design concepts based on testing
- Support the design and fabrication of the mechanical ground
support equipment (MGSE) to safely handle critical and flight
- Support the design and fabrication of full-scale mockups for
use in ground testing with critical and flight hardware.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering with 9+ years of
related experience, HS Diploma with 14+ years of experience.
- Strong experience designing, developing, and delivering
mechanical hardware, assemblies, and mechanical systems.
- Strong experience using CREO.
- Expertise in mechanical engineering disciplines for the design,
analysis and test of tools and mechanisms, including engineering
mechanics (statics and dynamics), strength of materials, structural
design, machine design, structural/mechanical testing,
manufacturing engineering, mechanical systems, and machine shop
- Firm grasp and understanding of ANSI drafting and tolerance
- Practical knowledge of Standards for Geometric Dimensioning and
- Understanding of advanced fabrication and manufacturing
- Experience at authoring and maintaining project
- Strong communication skills and ability to interface with
engineers, analysts, designers, manufacturing specialists, machine
shop, flight techs, and project staff.
- Knowledge of NASA mechanical/mechanism design criteria and
- Knowledge of mechanical design as it relates to 1-G mechanism
development, testing, and operations.
- Demonstrated experience with space robotics, vision systems,
end-effectors, and tools.
- Knowledge of materials, treatments, and coatings related to
space-flight design and operation of mechanisms.
- An advanced working knowledge of space flight mechanisms with a
focus on: actuators, motors, power transmission, bearing design,
electro-mechanical mechanisms, and tribology.
- Experience with Configuration Management Systems (TDMS,
- Knowledge of General Environmental Verification Specification
(GEVS) and NASA 5017.
- Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle
(design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade
Target salary range: $125,001 - $150,000. The estimate displayed
represents the typical salary range for this position based on
experience and other factors.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's
modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across
defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end
solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate
the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem
to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500
strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by
opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual
revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or
Working at SAIC for benefits details.SAIC is an Equal Opportunity
Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion,
sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin,
disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse,
inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.
Keywords: SAIC, Baltimore , Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, Other , Greenbelt, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!