Paramedic - Per Diem
Company: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Under limited supervision, ensures safe and healthy environment
for guests and employees by providing competent health and medical
services in a prehospital setting. The Paramedic will work as part
of the team. The Paramedic will follow PA DOH BLS, ALS guidelines;
and is responsible for the care of ill and injured patients.
Responsibilities include patient care incorporating assessment,
stabilization and intervention techniques consistent with standards
and protocols approved by the Medical Director. The Paramedic is
expected to execute independent judgment, to deliver appropriate
care that is consistent with the clinical protocols, when contact
with a medical command physician is not possible. The Paramedic
fulfills education and experiential requirements as established by
the Medical Director, and performs other duties as assigned.
Supports and upholds the mission, goals, and objectives, of the
UPMC system at all times.
- Reflects a positive attitude to the customer in a high stress
environment at all times, with a clear understanding of who the
- Participates in scheduled and unscheduled outreach activities,
representing the UPMC system.
- Provide advanced life support to critically ill or injured
patients in adherence with established protocols and standards of
care; assessing online medical command or other resources when
appropriate. Participates in developing and completing research
- Adheres to the current uniform policy.
- Demonstrates competency related to pharmacological
- Performs daily equipment check (vehicle, medications)
- Participates in shift report from off going crew
- Ensures safe operation of patient laden stretcher employing
appropriate stretcher discipline at all times. Maintains safe
loading, unloading, adjustment of head of stretcher, and stretcher
- Reports for work well rested, and fit for duty. Adhering to the
drug and alcohol policy at all times. including prescription and/or
over the counter medicine use.
- Completes all official documentation in a timely manner such as
payroll, expense reports, orientation forms, etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to establish a rapport with customers;
including the ability to create and sustain a positive
relationship; regardless of circumstances, environment, or patient
- Responds promptly and efficiently to all requests for
- Maintains clean patient environment as well as crew
- Maintains fitness for duty by adhering to all employee health
requirements. Reports injuries and completes the appropriate
documentation, no matter how minor, to a supervisor in a timely
- Demonstrates skills, competencies, and judgment necessary to
provide patient care in any environment; using educational
resources that are required or made available.
- Actively participates in the development and training of new
- Ensures crew is logged onto computer duty roster
- Ensures the safety of patients and all others. Utilizes
appropriate safety channels to report safety concerns, and uses
tools available to enhance a safe work environment.
- Participates constructively in the peer-review driven quality
- Performs all assigned duties, including daily, weekly, monthly,
or other duties assigned by the base site manager, including (but
not limited to):
- Ensures patient and family confidentiality and dignity at all
- Adheres to rules for scheduling, including schedule requests,
minimum time, and availability.
- Selects and uses personal protective equipment appropriate to
the level of the anticipated hazard.
- Equipment checks Transport log Medication log
- Documents appropriate assessment, interventions, and other
pertinent patient information in a timely manner. Collects and
promptly processes demographic, medical necessity, and other
necessary billing information.
High school diploma or equivalent1 year EMS pre-hospital
experience at the advance life support provider level preferred
Must be able to lift, carry, push and/or pull weight up to 100
Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions required.
Must be eligible to receive medical command authorization by the
Medical Director, have reliable transportation, and be willing to
travel to any base site as assigned. Must be able to successfully
complete the prescribed orientation program, including classroom,
Must work productively and effectively within a complex
environment, handle multiple/changing priorities, and specialized
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
EMT-P certification- PA accredited
PA Emergency Services Vehicle Operator (EMSVO) required
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic
and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or equivalent required
International Trauma Life Support (ITLS) or equivalent
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or equivalent
Clearances must be dated within 90 days
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)Basic Life Support (BLS) OR
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)Driver's LicenseEmergency
Vehicle OperatorParamedicPediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)Act
33 with renewalAct 34 with renewalAct 73 FBI Clearance with
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Keywords: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Baltimore , Paramedic - Per Diem, Other , York, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!