Information System Security Officer (ISSO)
Company: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Are you searching for challenging and impactful work supporting
Highly Classified networks?
Are you passionate about cybersecurity operations and
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at
We are ranked as one of Computerworld's Top Places to Work in IT
two years running and we are seeking a dedicated Information System
Security Officer to help us protect APL's information technology
As a member of our team, you'll responsible for ensuring the
appropriate operational security posture is maintained for an
information system and as such, work closely with the ISSM, Program
Security Representative and Program Manager in support of
Sponsor/Program needs. You'll join an impressive team of technical
specialists who are passionate about supporting our Program
As an ISSO...
- Create and Maintain Documentation. Completing and updating
documentation such as security CONOPS, Security Controls
Traceability Matrix's, System Security Plans, Risk Assessment
Reports, Contingency Plans. Track and maintain user agreements and
training. Conduct periodic reviews of information systems to ensure
compliance with established policies and procedures.
- System Development Support. Work with ISSEs, ISSMs and Program
Managers to develop secure IT solutions in the classified
environment. Capture and refine information security requirements
and work with the ISSM to ensure that the requirements are
effectively integrated into information systems. Work with the ISSM
and PM on procurement and research on software/hardware products to
ensure Supply Chain Risk Management compliance.
- Continuous Monitoring. Conduct system audits and analyze
results for reporting. Monitor systems for compliance and
vulnerabilities. Implement high priority security mitigations and
coordinate critical fixes with the System Administrators and PM.
Conduct periodic security testing and tabletop exercises.
- Incident Response. Monitor systems for anomalous activity
(after-hours use, privilege activities, etc.). Conduct preliminary
review of security events and recommend actions to the PSR and
ISSM. Execute containment actions and report generation for IT
spills and incidents.
- Configuration Management. Coordinate CCB activities and
document changes to the IS. Initiate change requests for security
related changes and conduct security impact assessments and
software due diligence requests. Research, diagnose and resolve
complex computer system software and hardware issues as they
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS degree in Computer Science, Information
Technology, related field or equivalent experience.
- Have 2 years of Windows systems administration experience.
- Have proven Assessment and Authorization experience working
with the Risk Management Framework (RMF), NISPOM, or JSIG.
- Have a minimum of 2 years experience solving information
technology problems and working in a classified computer facility
in information, intelligence, or security areas.
- Have a deep understanding of computer operating systems,
hardware, and software.
- Can demonstrate excellent organizational and communication
skills and the ability to effectively interact with managers and
- Possess a current DoD 8570 certification (Security , CISSP,
etc.), or ability to obtain within 6 months of employment
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance and are able to
obtain a TS/SCI poly clearance. Current SSBI required. If selected,
you will be subject to a government security clearance
investigation and must meet the requirements for access to
classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if
- Have experience working in or directly supporting the
Department of Defense or other U.S. government entities
- Have some Linux computer experience.
- Have experience with VMware or other virtualization
- Have some practical experience with programming / scripting
- Have a working familiarity with Director of Central
Intelligence Directives (DCID) or Intelligence Community Directives
(ICD) security requirements.
- Have proven excellent oral and written communication skills,
and the understanding of customer focus.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense,
security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to
solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what
makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant,
welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to
work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity
and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits,
including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled
retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's
campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn
more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Keywords: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, Baltimore , Information System Security Officer (ISSO), Other , Laurel, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!