Senior Classified Systems Administrator
Company: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Do you thrive in and enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic
Do you want to be empowered to take ownership and stake in the
overall engineering and operations of the IT infrastructure?
Are you interested in learning new technologies and creating new
If so, we're looking for someone like you to apply and join our
team at APL!
We are seeking a creative ambitious Senior Systems Administrator
to provide innovative solutions to complex IT problems in a
classified landscape. You'll contribute to re-engineering and
applying best practices as we continue to grow our infrastructure
spanning six different classified environments. This role allows
you to collaborate with a hardworking, committed, and diverse team
of knowledgeable system administrators who support classified IT
You will utilize and manage domain and enterprise management
technologies that provide secure, robust, and scalable computing
resources to address user requirements. Your expertise will help
create and run environments that consist of but are not limited to
Windows Active Directory, VMware vSphere/ESX, Horizon, Microsoft
Windows Server 2012/2016, DNS, Hyper-V, enterprise storage,
Exchange, print server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and
disaster recovery & back-up.
As a Senior Systems Administrator, the role will be to...
- Assist with taking on and accomplishing projects, operational
items, and incident/problem management in a timely manner;
- Participate in the installing, configuring, day-to-day
operations, optimization, and troubleshooting of the infrastructure
in accordance with agreed-upon service levels;
- Perform tasks to include daily system monitoring, verifying the
integrity and availability of all hardware/software resources to
name a few;
- Provide engineering, technical research and general system
administration assistance for emerging projects and operational
- Implement industry best practices while adhering to DoD
Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG) and DoD
vulnerability management (IAVM) for the deployment and
configuration of the environments you are responsible for,
leveraging your coding skills to automate STIG implementation and
system deployments to the furthest extent possible.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you
- A Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent years of related
professional work experience;
- 5 years of systems administration experience including script
development, patching, network switch configuration, virtual
machine development/configuration, and/or OS builds;
- 5 years of experience creating and administering environments
using Windows Active Directory, Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016,
Exchange, and Group Policy;
- Experience architecting and building a multi-forest Windows
Domain Environment; as well as experience with advanced privileged
- Excellent working knowledge of DoD STIGS, RMF, IAVM;
- Proven experience using scripting languages;
- Effective communication skills to present technical details to
a diverse audience, and can independently resolve complex problems
using current job knowledge, research data, and external
- (or can attain) An industry system or operational certification
(e.g. Microsoft Certified Professional) within 6 months of
- (or can attain) A current industry certification aligned to DoD
Manual 8570, 01-M for IAT II within 6 months of hire;
- Hold an active Interim Top Secret clearance. If selected, you
will be subject to a government security investigation and must
meet the requirements for access to classified information.
Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you
- Experience administering RHEL environments and utilizing Linux
- Skills to administer Microsoft Exchange environments;
- Experience implementing and/or maintaining enterprise back-up
solutions such as Veritas NetBackup;
- Have experience with VMWare administration and/or automation
and orchestration tools;
- Have knowledge or experience using system monitoring tools
and/or SIEM such as SolarWinds and Splunk.
- Hold an active Top clearance. If selected, you will be subject
to a government security investigation and must meet the
requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility
requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense,
security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to
solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what
makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant,
welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to
work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity
and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits,
including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled
retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's
campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn
more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Keywords: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, Baltimore , Senior Classified Systems Administrator, Other , Laurel, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!