Controls Engineer (Design Group)
Company: Barry Wehmiller Design Group
Posted on: October 14, 2021
Design Group operates from more than 45 offices in the United
States and India, providing engineering, consulting and technical
services for the world’s leading companies in the food and
beverage, life sciences, advanced technology, industrial and other
market sectors. Our nearly 1,500 technical and engineering experts
have direct industry experience in industrial automation, control
system integration, facility and process engineering, architecture,
construction management, regulatory compliance, enterprise
technology and other consulting services.
Barry-Wehmiller is a diversified global supplier of engineering
consulting and manufacturing technology for the packaging,
corrugating, sheeting and paper-converting industries. By blending
people-centric leadership with disciplined operational strategies
and purpose-driven growth, Barry-Wehmiller has become a $3 billion
organization with nearly 12,000 team members united by a common
belief: to use the power of business to build a better world.
The Controls Engineer will be responsible for development
and support of automation and networking projects. The scope
of this position includes engineering, design, programming,
commissioning and qualification of projects in GMP
environments. Project scopes of work include manufacturing,
packaging, labs, building automation, utilities, and fire
- Contribute to creation and understanding of user
requirements and ensure development of functional specifications
that serve as basis for successful integration of control
- Perform specification, design, procurement and acceptance
of instrumentation, control panels, and power
- Align control systems architecture and design with
client’s expectations regarding automation, cost, cleaning,
capacity and quality.
- Assemble design packages, write installation scopes of
work, and provide construction phase engineering for
automation and network infrastructure and support
- Support commissioning and qualification of automation and
networking systems. Finalize project documentation in alignment
with project objectives.
- Develop and optimize operation and maintenance procedures
and training programs for instrumentation and control
- Provide oversight and guidance on troubleshooting efforts
with operators, electro-mechanical technicians, automation
engineers, and process equipment engineers during times of
equipment or control system start up and testing. Assist with
deviation investigations for areas of expertise; lead
investigations when appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Validation team, provide
direction and guidance on the development and execution of
validation documentation (IQ/OQ/PQ) for GMP instrumentation and
- Interface with users, peers, management, and global
counterparts to ensure stakeholder requirements are understood and
integrated into the project scope. Manage vendors and consultants
to ensure that contracts contain appropriate technical
specifications and are delivered as required. In addition, ensure
compliance to local and global corporate standards are met and
- Demonstrate a serious commitment to personnel and process
safety during automatic process operations and during
troubleshooting activities. Participate in Hazard and Operability
(HAZOP) studies, Failure Modes and Effects Analyses (FMEA), and
other safety initiatives and programs.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of
the business. This includes providing on-call or on-site support
outside of normal business hours (nights, weekends, and company
- Prior networking/automation/control systems
engineering experience in a cGMP regulated industry for minimum 4
years required, 10 or more years preferred.
- Prior experience in the design, implementing, start-up,
and testing of industrial Automation/control, networking systems,
servers, client applications, and manufacturing
- Prior experience performing system qualification, such as
FAT/SAT, commissioning, and IQ/OQ validation.
- Comprehensive background and knowledge of current GxP and
Automated industry guidelines for systems that support large scale
and small scale biological processing, including secondary
manufacturing such as sterilization, vial filling, lyophilization,
packaging equipment, and clean utilities.
- Thorough understanding of relevant European and US
regulatory requirements (electronic records and signatures, change
- Demonstrated competence and capability in adapting
quickly and working with minimal or no supervision in unfamiliar,
complex, and critical situations.
- Ability to provide leadership and motivation to generate
options, resolve problems, prioritize, and select optimal
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the
ability to interact and influence individuals throughout all levels
of the organization.
- Strong business understanding.
- Motivated and committed team player prepared to work in
and embrace a multi-disciplined team-based culture.
- Ability to follow and lead others to provide written
procedures and document results in a neat and precise
- Drives self and others to maintain attention to detail,
accuracy, and right-first-time quality mindset, while completing
multiple or repetitive tasks and meeting goals or
- Strives to maintain a high level of integrity while
balancing multiple priorities and responsibilities.
- Proven record of providing excellent internal and
external customer service.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related
At Barry-Wehmiller we recognize that people come with a
wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical
requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what
you see listed here, please still consider applying. We know
that our differences often can bring about innovation, excellence
and meaningful work—therefore, people from all backgrounds are
encouraged to apply to our positions. Please let us know if
you require reasonable accommodations during the interview
Barry-Wehmiller is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V This
organization uses E-Verify.
Applicants may be subject to pre-employment screening which may
include drug screening, reference checks, employment verifications,
background screening and/or skills assessments.
Keywords: Barry Wehmiller Design Group, Baltimore , Controls Engineer (Design Group), Other , Columbia, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!