Patient Care Assistant (PCA)
Company: University of Maryland Medical Center
Location: Glen Burnie
Posted on: January 27, 2023
What You Will Do:
Patient Care Assistant (PCA) - 5 West
Full Time - Night Shift
UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center
Glen Burnie, Maryland
The Power of Caring
Within all of us there is untold power. An unstoppable strength. A
desire to do more.
At University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center, we
know that caring can't be taught, it's something that comes
We're looking for talented professionals to join our extraordinary
Team at UM BWMC - named Top Workplace in the Baltimore area by The
Baltimore Sun two years in a row (2019 & 2020); Named in the USA
As part of the acclaimed University of Maryland Medical System, our
facility is one of three designated hospitals in Maryland and
features one of the state's busiest emergency departments, as well
as a team of experts who care for our community and one another. As
a Top 10 Maryland hospital ranked by U.S. News and World Report, UM
BWMC is the pulse that keeps Anne Arundel County moving
As a member of our team, you'll experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment.
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and
dental coverage including prescription drug coverage - Tax-Free
Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement and more!
- Work Life Balance: You'll accrue annual leave; we offer
dependent care reimbursement, short/long term disability and an
employee assistance program.
- Growth & Educational Assistance: We support your continuing
education and career advancement by offering tuition reimbursement
& continuing education options.Job Summary
Under frequent supervision, the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) is a
multi-skilled individual who assists the patient with activities of
daily living, while maintaining a quiet, therapeutic, and clean
environment. The PCA will spend most of the time at the bedside
meeting the patient's physical, psychosocial, and environmental
needs based on an individualized plan of care. Patient population
served includes infants, children, and adults.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Participates as a member of the patient care team by providing
direct patient care under the supervision of the nurse. Functions
as a dependable team member, assisting when requested and
volunteering when the need arises.
- Performs any or all duties involving the direct patient care as
assigned by the nurse within guidelines provided by the Maryland
Nurse Practice Act and medical center policies and procedures.
- Maintains skills as outlined in the nursing policy, procedures,
guidelines as delegated by the RN (peripheral venipuncture,
intravenous catheter insertion, EKG, etc.)
- All specimens labeled in the presence of the patient.
- Two patient identifiers used when obtaining specimens.
- Monitors and records patient's response to treatment and
communicates with the responsible care team or physicians in a
- Performs unit documentation, which is timely, accurate,
concise, legible and in accordance with the Performance
- Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations following
established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Maintains accountability for meeting basic physical
psychosocial and environmental needs of the patient.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Current CNA certification from the MBON required.
- Current AHA Health Care Provider (CPR) card.We are an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion,
national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any
other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore , Patient Care Assistant (PCA), Other , Glen Burnie, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!