Senior Electrical Designer
Company: Oceaneering International
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) develops, manufactures, and
operates customized marine systems, shipboard equipment, subsea
vehicles, and engineered solutions for commercial and U.S. military
Oceaneering Aerospace and Defense Technologies (AdTech) delivers
solutions that enable humans to work safely and effectively in
harsh environments - from underwater to the outer reaches of space.
Our innovative solutions support the development and application of
practical, cost-effective systems that meet our customers'
challenges - from routine to extreme. Our experience and expertise
across multiple industries uniquely positions us as a leader in the
government, space, and maritime services markets. Our products and
services meet the rigorous demands of the complex environments in
which they operate, delivering results without compromising safety
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and
products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop
products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an
offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the
world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a
leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals,
subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology
expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling,
aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The Senior Electrical Designer applies creative design skills and
computer aided design drafting (CADD) practices to the generation
of layout, assembly, schematics, and detail drawings of
electro-mechanical packages, electrical, and electronic equipment
of simple to moderate complexity. These projects are associated
with the development and implementation of complex power and
control systems for unique underwater robotic and electromechanical
systems. - helping solve our customers' toughest challenges -
typically for US Navy, other US Government Department of Defense
customers, and ADTECH-OTECH projects. The Senior Electrical
Designer may also prepare sketches and other graphic information
for use within technical documents, proposals, and sales-related
documents. The Electrical Designer will often work alongside of or
at the direction of engineers and more senior design staff learning
how to independently take on more design responsibility. May act as
a technical lead for the work of other less experienced designers
and drafters on a specific project.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Works closely with engineers and more senior designers to make
drawing corrections and works independently to makes changes in
accordance with drawing redlines. Works directly with engineers and
manufacturing personnel to make on-the-fly drawing updates.
- Must perform independently and in a highly collaborative
environment working with multiple project teams. Must be
comfortable in environments where scope and requirements change
- Check technical accuracy and completeness of drawings.
- Under engineering and more senior designer direction, craft
electro-mechanical packaging of industrial control panels and
enclosures based on high-level concepts, schematics, and block
diagrams using SolidWorks.
- Expected to apply creative design skills and computer aided
design drafting (CADD) practices to the independent and
collaborative generation of layout, assembly, and detail schematic
and wiring/cabling drawings for electrical and electronic equipment
of simple to moderate complexity using Altium Designer.
- As required, independently select appropriate electrical and
mechanical components for design, wiring, mounting, and housing of
electrical chassis, cables, and related systems.
- As required, prepares illustrations for technical
documentation, proposals, and sales-related documents.
- Mentor designers and drafters to ensure consistency in design
and drawings. Regularly, coordinates work of one or more designers
and drafters on a project.
- Provides input to engineering lead and/or Program Manager
regarding design / drafting resources required for defined scope of
work within defined schedule and budgetary constraints.
- Assists in estimating costs / schedule related to design /
drafting tasks for bids and proposals.
- Participates in Technical Working Groups to provide continuous
improvement to OTECH processes. Ensures designs meet quality
standards and customer requirements.
- May recommend design solutions or options to improve
cost-effectiveness, manufacturability, and maintainability.
- 7-10 years of CAD design experience.
- Associate degree in design, drafting, or related technical
field such as Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Experience/proficiency with Altium Designer electrical CAD
schematic capture and PCB layout software.
- Experience/proficiency with Dassault Syst--mes SolidWorks solid
- Experience/proficiency with AutoCAD for legacy design work and
- Familiarity with Military Standards and ANSI 14.5 drafting
standards including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Experience in electro-mechanical packaging.
- Ability to create schedules for design deliverables and to
support design reviews.
- Knowledge/experience in the marine (surface or, preferably,
underwater) industry and associated technologies, including ROVs,
AUVs, and related robotic and electromechanical systems.
- Knowledge/experience with:
- Various data communications signaling, such as Ethernet, USB,
RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc., including their
associated media and protocols in high-noise potential
- Low-medium voltage, single and 3-phase power systems (120, 240,
480, 3000+ VAC).
- Applying machine safety systems and standards.
- Programming languages and/or script writing (software).
- Wiring, cabling, and grounding design for minimizing electrical
noise and EMI, as appropriate.
- Experience in proper use and application of various standard
electronic test equipment, e.g., DMM/multimeters, oscilloscopes,
power analyzers, spectrum analyzers, communications analyzers,
CTDR, OTDR, optical power meters, etc.
- Good practical technician skills (assembly, wiring, soldering,
- Ability and flexibility to travel on occasion, typically
pre-planned for up to one to two weeks at a time; may be within the
US, outside the US, or offshore onboard a boat.
- Ability to work independently to develop original designs,
modifications to existing designs, and technical drawings of parts
and assemblies and to meet stated deadlines and to support design
- Ability to interact with managers and engineers to solve
difficult technical problems and challenges.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Able to work overtime hours as needed.
- Good verbal and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively
communicate with vendors and customers.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft - Word, Excel, and
- Must be able to obtain security clearance and pass a drug
This position is Hybrid - Remote and will require commuting to a
designated office. Hybrid work schedules are determined by the
hiring manager based on business need.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all
positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex
(including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity,national
origin, veteran status,disability, genetic information, or other
Keywords: Oceaneering International, Baltimore , Senior Electrical Designer, Professions , Hanover, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!