Project Electrical Engineer
Company: Oceaneering International
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) develops, manufactures, and
operates customized marine systems, shipboard equipment, subsea
vehicles, and engineered solutions for commercial and U.S. military
Oceaneering Aerospace and Defense Technologies (AdTech) delivers
solutions that enable humans to work safely and effectively in
harsh environments - from underwater to the outer reaches of space.
Our innovative solutions support the development and application of
practical, cost-effective systems that meet our customers'
challenges - from routine to extreme. Our experience and expertise
across multiple industries uniquely positions us as a leader in the
government, space, and maritime services markets. Our products and
services meet the rigorous demands of the complex environments in
which they operate, delivering results without compromising safety
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and
products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop
products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an
offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the
world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a
leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals,
subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology
expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling,
aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
As a Project Electrical Engineer (industry equivalent: Electrical
Engineer 4) , serve as a vital member of the Oceaneering Aerospace
and Defense Technologies (ADTECH) engineering team - an engineering
center of excellence, and an exciting part of our dynamic, global
enterprise. Within our Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group, you
will be responsible for performing diverse activities associated
with the development and implementation of complex power and
control systems for unique underwater robotic and electromechanical
systems, helping solve our customers' toughest challenges -
typically for US Navy and other US Government Department of Defense
Most of our projects are one-of-a-kind, which means you will never
be stagnant and will always work on something new and compelling.
And, by "work," we don't just mean "analyze and design" - most of
our engineers do not simply sit behind a desk, but when the design
is done choose to "get their hands dirty" assisting with building
and testing their creations. At Oceaneering, we are committed to
"making it work!"
This position is Hybrid/Remote to the Hanover, MD office location.
Hybrid/Remote employees are expected to be able to commute to their
designated office as schedules require.
Duties & Responsibilities
- As a system or subsystem lead, responsible for producing
significant portions of individual project electrical and control
system designs; may also be expected to lead, supervise, and mentor
small teams of senior and junior electrical engineers in pursuit of
associated project objectives.
- Given incomplete, high-level requirements for a system or
subsystem of moderate complexity, generate proper designs and work
to complete tasking with latitude to make decisions under minimal
supervision - individually and in a teamwork environment.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and
initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your
work product, with attention to the "system" perspective.
- Prepare and participate in regular design reviews.
- Work closely in concert with mechanical, software, and systems
engineers, as well as other cooperative disciplines, to solve
problems and constructively architect a working system.
- Supervise/mentor junior engineers or technicians, when
- Responsible and accountable for your results, working with
considerable autonomy, but also knowing when to ask for
- Desire to stretch and expand your talents, expertise,
competency, and responsibilities.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree from an accredited
university in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (or related
field/curriculum having an Electrical concentration, such as
Computer Engineering or Robotics Engineering).
- Minimum 5years practical technical experience in the creative
(Electrical) engineering process, including participation in the
concept, analysis, simulation, design, drawing, assembly,
integration, troubleshooting, and testing of complex electrical,
electromechanical, and automated/robotic systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government
Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearances
preferred, but not prerequisite).
- Must be a US citizen.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: ( must possess or perform most of
- Experience selecting and integrating varying pieces of
high-tech Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) equipment to interoperate
well together, including designing necessary interfaces.
- Good working knowledge and experience selecting and sizing
current and latest available electrical and electronic components
and wiring devices, such as signal conditioning, power supplies,
control devices, switching devices, SSRs, safety devices, terminal
blocks, connectors, DIN rail, wiring, cabling, marshalling,
- Experience selecting and interfacing components of industrial
quality embedded microprocessor, single-board computer (SBC) based
control systems, including defining necessary signals, sensors, and
actuators, and selecting appropriate I/O; may also require some
custom electrical designs where COTS components are either
inadequate or unavailable.
- Experience designing, interfacing, translating, and integrating
various data communications signaling, such as Ethernet, USB,
RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc., including their
associated media and protocols in high-noise potential
- Experience with DC power systems design.
- Calculate and estimate system power and energy
- Experience designing, wiring, cabling, grounding for minimizing
electrical noise and EMI, as appropriate.
- Good electrical drawing/drafting skills - accurately create and
read detailed schematics, wiring diagrams, cable drawings, system
cabling and block diagrams, etc.
- Proficiency in proper use and application of various standard
electronic test equipment, e.g., VOM/multimeters, oscilloscopes,
power analyzers, communications analyzers, "hipot" insulation
testers, spectrum analyzers, CTDR, OTDR, optical power meters,
- Proficiency with advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD),
Simulation, and Analysis software packages such as Altium Designer,
SPICE, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Mathcad, MATLAB, etc.
- Proficiency with common office productivity software such as
Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.
- Good written and oral communications skills, including ability
to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts
and products to team members and customers.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in the marine (surface or, preferably, underwater)
industry and associated technologies, including ROVs, AUVs, and
related robotic and electromechanical systems; also, sonar
- Working knowledge of applicable industry professional,
technical, and military standards (IEEE, ANSI, IEC, ISO, NEMA, NEC,
- Good practical technician skills (assembly, wiring, soldering,
- Experience with fiber-optics.
- Experience with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design.
- Experience with brushless motor drives, robotics, and
- Experience designing, analyzing, and tuning closed-loop
feedback control systems.
- Experience with low-medium voltage, single- and 3-phase power
systems (120, 240, 480, 3000+ VAC).
- Experience applying machine safety systems and standards.
- Experience with programming languages and/or script writing
- Ability and flexibility to travel on occasion, typically
pre-planned for up to one to two weeks at a time; may be within the
US, outside the US, or offshore, onboard a boat.
This position is Hybrid - Remote and will require commuting to a
designated office. Hybrid work schedules are determined by the
hiring manager based on business need.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all
positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex
(including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity,national
origin, veteran status,disability, genetic information, or other
Keywords: Oceaneering International, Baltimore , Project Electrical Engineer, Professions , Hanover, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!