Pilot Plant R&D Technician
Company: W. R. Grace & Co
Posted on: February 9, 2024
Requisition ID:22716Built on talent, technology, and trust,
Grace is a leading global supplier of catalysts and engineered
materials. The company's two industry-leading business
segments-Catalysts Technologies and Materials Technologies-provide
innovative products, technologies, and services that enhance the
products and processes of our customers around the world. Grace
employs approximately 4,300 people in over 30 countries.Job
DescriptionGrace is seeking a Pilot Plant R&D Technician to
join our FCC Catalyst Synthesis team at our corporate headquarters
located in Columbia, MD. You will report to the Senior R&D
Engineer, also located in Columbia, MD. The primary function of
this position is to support catalyst synthesis research and
scale-up activities in the Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC) catalyst
product line. Your work in this group will directly contribute to
the discovery and development of best-in-class FCC catalysts and
additives. Your research may also be related to advanced recycling
of plastic waste.
The typical daily activities of the employee will include making
pilot scale (-80%) and laboratory scale (-20%) preparations of FCC
zeolite, catalyst, and additives, submitting samples for various
analyses and evaluations and maintaining commonly used personal and
shared equipment and lab space while operating under Grace's
standards for environmental and employee safety.
- Perform pilot scale (-80%) and laboratory scale (-20%)
preparation of FCC zeolites, catalysts and/or additives. Submit
samples for required analyses and evaluations.
- Operate and share maintenance duty of pilot plant equipment
with other group members. Equipment includes spray dryer, mixers,
mills, gas emission scrubber, washing tanks and ovens.
- Perform the necessary housekeeping to maintain a clean and safe
work area and ensure areas of responsibility are properly stocked
with necessary goods.
- Collect and record data to include using Word, PowerPoint,
various online SharePoint sites and Excel spreadsheets for data
recording, data processing and data/project reporting.
- Follow all Environmental Health & Safety requirements and do
all required safety training. Work safely with chemicals/materials
and wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment for the
job.Physical Requirements and Environment
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel,
crouch, crawl, and climb stairs and ladders over 100 ft.
- Must be willing to wear PPE (Personal Protective equipment)
including but not limited to hard hat, protective eyewear,
steel-toed boots, hearing protection, Level A suit, full face
- AA degree in a technical field, or BS/BA degree in technical
field, or High School diploma with 2-4 years relevant laboratory,
manufacturing, or skilled trade experience.
- Must be able to work in the pilot plant, approx. 75% of the
time and operate large equipment; the remaining 25% will be in a
- Strong mechanical aptitude or strong interest to learn about
medium to large size equipment.
- Ability to make detailed observations during experiments and
report to supervisor with effective communication skills.
- Experience following safety protocols and standards while
handling hazardous materials.Preferred Qualifications
- Experience working in a pilot or manufacturing plant
- Experience using and maintaining research notebook, data
analysis, wet chemistry/bench work.
- Prior experience making FCC catalysts.
- Prior experience on analytical instruments such as XRD, gas
sorption, etc.#WRGRACEBenefitsMedical, Dental, Vision Insurance
Life Insurance and Disability
Grace Wellness Program
401(k) Company Match - Dollar to dollar up to the first 6%
Paid Vacation and Holidays
Company Donation Match Program Grace is not accepting unsolicited
assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity.
Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search
firms to any employee at Grace via email, the Internet or in any
form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in
place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Grace.
No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Grace as
a result of the referral or through other means.
Keywords: W. R. Grace & Co, Baltimore , Pilot Plant R&D Technician, Professions , Columbia, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!